VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Seagate 500GB+8GB hybrid drive that the spinning disk portion of has apparently died. I could actually use an 8GB SSD for something & I don't feel like waiting a month for a CF card or SD adapter from Ebay. Is it possible to disable the disk portion of this thing & make it act like a dedicated SSD? Can SeaTools do this?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is Seagate.... Seagate IS THE DEVIL. If you buy a Seagate drive, it will generally fail within 1-2 years.

In any case, there is no way to directly access the SSD portion of an SSHD.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

It is Seagate.... Seagate IS THE DEVIL. If you buy a Seagate drive, it will generally fail within 1-2 years.

Reminds me of the old German pun "Sea-gate, sea-gate nicht." (which sounds like "Sie geht, sie geht nicht." English: She runs/works, she runs/works not). 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seagate made some pretty decent SCSI drives, but I admit I hae not had very good luck with their ATA drives. I find the 1-2 year estimate to be pretty accurate.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 6, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got some from 2008-2011 that seem to be going fine with no issues, but they're not exactly in hard-core daily use. That's not really the subject of this thread though.

This specific model of SSHD came in a lot of mid-range Lenovo laptops, and seems to be well known to tank in exactly the way mine did.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 5 of 6, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

I have a Seagate 500GB+8GB hybrid drive that the spinning disk portion of has apparently died. I could actually use an 8GB SSD for something & I don't feel like waiting a month for a CF card or SD adapter from Ebay. Is it possible to disable the disk portion of this thing & make it act like a dedicated SSD? Can SeaTools do this?

No, not possible. The 8GB is really a very large disk cache and cannot work independently of the platters.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 6, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I was hoping there would be a firmware hack or something out there though. My google skills are turning up nothing.

The damn thing still boots fine, and you can use it right up until it runs out of 'cached' data and brings the whole system down with an eldritch screech. So it is capable of running as an SSD on its own to a certain extent. No drive should ever make that noise though.