VOGONS

Retro mouse pad? :o

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 36, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used a PVC cutting mat as a mousepad for years.

Back in the day (ca 1996) when my dad bought a PC he forgot to buy a mousepad. One of these cutting mats was lying around then and it was just the perfect fit. Just a basic sturdy mat with a grid pattern on it. Can't get more 90s than that.

Mine was grey, but this green one looks cool, too:

PVC-Cutting-Mat-a3-45-30cm-9-Sea-Durable-Self-Healing-Handmade-DIY-Quilting-Accessories-Flexible.jpg_640x640.jpg

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 22 of 36, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a handful of the thick plain blue mousepads I used all through the 90s, for my eventual retro computer lab (once I get the space for it!) Seems like every computer I saw in the early 90s had that blue mousepad.

@King_Corduroy: That custom printed one looks great! Whereabouts did you get it done?

EDIT: Found a local place that will do it (Vistaprint Australia) so I just ordered me an Amstrad branded mousepad for my XT 😀

Last edited by Malvineous on 2018-04-06, 09:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 36, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh, found this in my office & thought of this thread. Never forget the old standby "trade conference swag" mouse pad. Although this one might be very early 2000s rather than '90s.

maus.jpg
Filename
maus.jpg
File size
136 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

...and wouldn't you know it, an example of the exact model of non-wheel Logitech mouse I was talking about earlier. I forgot I even had that, it was in the bottom of a box marked "serial & data cables." I've got a few of the wedge Mousemans too.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 24 of 36, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malvineous wrote:

I bought a handful of the thick plain blue mousepads I used all through the 90s, for my eventual retro computer lab (once I get the space for it!) Seems like every computer I saw in the early 90s had that blue mousepad.

@King_Corduroy: That custom printed one looks great! Whereabouts did you get it done?

EDIT: Found a local place that will do it (Vistaprint Australia) so I just ordered me an Amstrad branded mousepad for my XT 😀

I got them done by a guy on ebay, it was kinda expensive though like 5 bucks a mat I'm looking for cheaper solutions to have a bunch printed at once. Also yeah I got a stack of plain blue ones as well that I use on the rest of my machines. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 25 of 36, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's not bad, mine was AU$10 + $10 shipping (US$7 + $7 shipping) so not something I would buy a lot of, but not too bad either just for the fun of it! Thinking whether I should get one done with the Apogee logo on it now...what have you started!! 😀

Reply 28 of 36, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My custom one arrived! I never thought I would be so excited about a mousepad before. Nostalgia sure is funny.

mousepad.2018-04-15.amstrad.jpg
Filename
mousepad.2018-04-15.amstrad.jpg
File size
176.23 KiB
Views
File comment
Amstrad logo mousepad
File license

Reply 32 of 36, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's a very cool 90's style mouse pad.. 😉

Attachments

• y2k_pad.jpg
    Filename
    y2k_pad.jpg
    File size
    198.98 KiB
    Views
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 33 of 36, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another one. Very 90s. :)

Attachments

• dino_c.jpg
    Filename
    dino_c.jpg
    File size
    50.12 KiB
    Views
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 34 of 36, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This one may be more vintage than retro, but I bought this mouse and pad a few years ago. I can't even remember if I tested it. It is a Q500 digital mouse made by a company called Chakers INC.

Attachments

• IMG_1341.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1341.JPG
    File size
    239.67 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 35 of 36, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tannerstevo wrote:

This one may be more vintage than retro, but I bought this mouse and pad a few years ago. I can't even remember if I tested it. It is a Q500 digital mouse made by a company called Chakers INC.

Reminds me a lot of the pads we had to use with some of the optical rodents we had at my old workplace which consisted of a very fine grid on a metal pad. The mice in question wouldn't work on any other surface (we tried but no luck).

Reply 36 of 36, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

back in the 90's I went for heavy duty and repairable, well we had scrap laying around and i was 10 in 97 so i used what i had.

I used 1/4 in plywood scrap my dad had, and then covered it in an old The Magic School bus tshirt with a staple gun to the backside, wish i still had it 🤣, I will say it had some heft to it, though it did slide around easily and left gouge marks on my desk from the staples but oh well lmao.

One advantage over a real mouse pad, i once hit my brother with it when he was getting on my nerves, sure he had a concision but he left me alone again.