VOGONS

Retro mouse pad? :o

Topic actions

First post, by TheeRaccoon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, guys, I'm looking for some possible recommendations for cool 90's style mouse pads for my late 98 build.

Post them up! (:

Reply 1 of 36, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I took one of these to so many LAN parties along with my deliberately-non-wheel Logitech PS/2 Mouseman. The mighty Allsop "wet look" pad with gel wrist rest:

7245554_sa.jpg

Surprisingly it looks like you can still buy them new. Come to think of it, that wrist rest might be a good idea now.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 36, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I love those Allsop ones too! I still have one from 1995 or so (that's looking fairly tatty and gross to be honest) but was surprised to see them still for sale as xjas said, so stocked up on a few more.

Reply 3 of 36, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

just a basic blue one

Attachments

• Sm-3332BL_blank.0.jpg
    Filename
    Sm-3332BL_blank.0.jpg
    File size
    1.17 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 4 of 36, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the perfect mousepad for a 1998-build. I "liberated" it from my school's computer pool in 1998 and have used it eversince. It's the plainest red plasticky mousepad imaginable.

Reply 5 of 36, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

just a basic blue one

Indeed, especially one that's a good quarter-inch thick and not the wimpy wafer-thin ones they have now.

You could also try to find an OEM branded one from around that time. Gateway 2000, Compaq, Packard Bell, etc.

The only other "definitively 90s" mouse pad that jumps to mind for me would be the one from Mario Paint, which might be a bit of an interesting thing to use with a regular computer. 🤣 Hard to find these days though.

Reply 8 of 36, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Attachments

• c_pad.jpg
    Filename
    c_pad.jpg
    File size
    6.21 KiB
    Views
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 36, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed. A bit to light. though. Remember, 90s was all about recycling and saving the rainforest.. 😉
Our teachers encouraged us pupils to get lower quality, higher priced, chlorine-free fair-trade paper.
We obeyed and felt responsible, a bit like heros of our young generation. 😁
These days, recycled school material seemed to have visually disappeared.
Sometimes, I wonder why. 😕 For doing schoolwork, one was as good as another.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 36, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not really "retro" but has a vintage feel! I have a mouserug I purchased on a trip to the British Musuem. Looks like this (not mine)
mouse-rug-with-mouse.jpg?w=676&h=901

Follow me on twitter

Reply 12 of 36, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:
I took one of these to so many LAN parties along with my deliberately-non-wheel Logitech PS/2 Mouseman. The mighty Allsop "wet l […]
Show full quote

I took one of these to so many LAN parties along with my deliberately-non-wheel Logitech PS/2 Mouseman. The mighty Allsop "wet look" pad with gel wrist rest:

7245554_sa.jpg

Surprisingly it looks like you can still buy them new. Come to think of it, that wrist rest might be a good idea now.

There is a laser-based Logitech PS/2 Mouseman? What does it look like? I've only used the serial and PS/2 wheeled versions.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 13 of 36, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not optical (this was right around the turn of the century!) - I had one of these:
Logitech-Wired-3-Button-PS-2-Trackball-Mouse-M-S35.jpg

and one of these:
ltmm3u.jpg

...for most of my time doing the competitive LAN party thing. Later on I did begrudgingly switch to a Labtec PS/2 optical wheel mouse like this one (which is almost certainly a rebranded Logitech), but my standard FPS control scheme still works better without a wheel.

419HW6YHZSL.jpg

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 15 of 36, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Not optical, not wheel. How does it work?

Whoops, misinterpreted what you were asking - I meant they're normal ball mice but they don't have a scroll wheel.

Reply 16 of 36, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh. I never got hooked on a scroll wheel, so using the middle button to scroll webpages is fine by me.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 17 of 36, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used these in the late '90s, mostly to play Quake III:

everglideattackpad.jpg

They were made by a company called "Everglide" and used with a ball mouse they were actually a nice improvement over a regular mouse pad.

Last edited by MMaximus on 2018-04-22, 15:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 18 of 36, by zakurowrath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's the one I'm using with my 486. My first computer was a Compaq ProLinea 4/33 so I was trilled when my high school computer teacher gave this to me my senior year.

I've never been able to find another one like it but I'm sure someone has one somewhere. If not I did scan mine in at high resolution so if anyone wanted to make their own they could.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mzrl9rbb9665ztd … 20With%20Us.zip

Attachments

• DSC_3871.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_3871.jpg
    File size
    1.38 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 19 of 36, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any mousepad that has the name and address of the PC shop that you bought your first computer at 25 years ago, which has gone out of business 20 years ago.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys