VOGONS

First post, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tons of discarded PS/2 SIMMs of low capacity from 4-8 MB, but only very few 4 MB 30 pin SIMMs.
Idea is to order the PCBs from a chinese manufacturer and do the solderwork myself using the chips of the PS/2 SIMMs.
Question is if anybody here at vogons tried this before and what are the experiences? Probably a PCB layout even exists?

Other types of rare memory modules could be done the same way, as there comes to my mind:
- 16 MB 30 pin SIMMs
- 64 MB PS/2 SIMMs
- PS/2 with parity (usually added the chips myself as there are many layouts allready prepared for parity chips)
- some 5V unbuffered EDO DIMMs as used in PPro machines.

This post is just to check out if anybody else is interested in these PCBs so a higher quantity can be purchased, or at least the PCB layout can be shared.
My soldering experience on SIMMs by now is limited to adding parity chips and changing presence detect resistors, but I´m ready to take the challenge.

Reply 1 of 33, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

..and the rarest of the rare is the 40 pin proprietory simm as used in the T5200 ..
Ian_B found a way tound this by utilising a 72 pin EDO hand wired..
Had there been an alternative ..then maybe he and others might have been interested.
A worthwhile project though..
keep up the good work buddy.
rgds
VS

Reply 2 of 33, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

4MB 30-pin Simms are readily available for fairly cheap on eBay.

Is it even worth the time and money to make some yourself?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 33, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have had thoughts of making some 16MByte 30pin SIMMs and 64MB+ 72pin ones but finding suitable DRAMs has turned out to be difficult. Making a PCB and puttings chips on them doesn't take much effort, I could probably make 1 module every 2..3 minutes or so.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 33, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Just found only two offers below 10 €/ a piece on ebay.de, thats not cheap in my opinion. Needing 8 of these for a usual 486er makes the situation even worse. Most offers are 4 MB/set.

Tiido wrote:

finding suitable DRAMs has turned out to be difficult

As I wrote there are plenty of PS/2 SIMMs availiable to harvest the chips from. Of coarse only FPM modules can be used for 30pin conversion.

Reply 5 of 33, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Needing 8 of these for a usual 486er makes the situation even worse.

486 boards with 30 pin memory are not optimal anyway.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 33, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eisapc wrote:

As I wrote there are plenty of PS/2 SIMMs availiable to harvest the chips from. Of coarse only FPM modules can be used for 30pin conversion.

Ok, taking a closer look, 4MB is easily doable, but for 16MB there are no options in that route that I see and those are what I'm most interested in. After I'm done with my current project I'll make a handful of 4MB modules to max out my 386 and convert few 72pin 32MB EDO sticks into FPM ones that my 486 can use.

With help from CPLD and monster sized sticks it would be possible to get 16MB going with multiple 2MByte sized chips... I don't need more ideas right now hahahaha

Reply 7 of 33, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I am thinking of doing 16MB 30pin SIMMs as well...though I want to do it with modern components so that I can run them at 50MHz with as few wait states as possible.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 33, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For PLDless operation there aren't any choices that I have found but once you decide on the PLD route you can do anything as long as oversided modules work. There's also the 5V intolerance on all the faster DRAMs (i.e under 50ns). Digikey has some insanely expensive 5V 2Mbyte 4bit 70ns EDO chips, other places I looked at don't have any 5V offerings and none of the 3.3V chips I see have 3.3V tolerant IO, level translation will allow some leeway though but at reduced performance due to 5...10ns latency the add. I haven't had luck finding larger DRAMs from China either, neither good price or any sort of quantity.
If speed is the only factor then one could make a 4MByte 5V SRAM based module for a bit under 25€ a stick, with guaranteed performance of 80MHz without wait states. 8 chips are needed + a CPLD making for a pretty large module. For a 386 or a 486 you're gonna need 100€ worth of sticks to get going at all in case of 30pin SIMMs... is that 100€ of 16Mbytes of insanely fast memory worth the money ?

Reply 10 of 33, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think he's just removing ICs from old SIMMs and soldering on NOS 40ns parts, probably 1Mbit density. What we really need is a new PCB using modern ICs.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 33, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

386_junkie already has a project on this:

Re: Best 386 Motherboard?

Thanks kixs.

To confirm what most people are saying here... with the number, varieties, and different densities of SIMM's out there... there is really no reason to create your own SIMM's unless there is a specific application for which there is not a product or solution that already exists.... hence the requirement for custom parts.

I already have a collection of 1MB, 4MB, and 16MB... 30 pin SIMM's. The lowest latency available in each of these is 60ns... which is a limiting factor and is the very reason I have been experimenting and testing the various ways of making my own SIMM's.

Why am I doing this? On some of my 386 systems, running at 40MHz; 1/40 = 25ns clock cycles .... and 50MHz; 1/50 = 20ns clock cycles, the lowest latency DRAM requires more clock cycles than required with the CPU running 3x faster: -

60ns DRAM... 3 x 25ns clk cycles = 75ns or 3 x 20ns clk cycles = 60ns!

The solution to reduce latency was to create 40ns 30-pin SIMM's, which I have done, thus: -

40ns DRAM... 2 x 25ns clk cycles = 50ns or 2 x 20ns clk cycles = 40ns! 😁

The result... reducing DRAM as a bottleneck, creating a 386 that has lower system latency and faster RAM access.

Last edited by 386_junkie on 2018-04-06, 13:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 12 of 33, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I think he's just removing ICs from old SIMMs and soldering on NOS 40ns parts, probably 1Mbit density. What we really need is a new PCB using modern ICs.

This is the quick and dirty method yes.

Up until now, whilst sacrificing, learning, testing... and wasting, 1MB is fine.

This method will also work with 4MB SIMM's (as pictured below)... I have enough IC's and will start to convert these also when I am ready.

Attachments

• simms.jpg
    Filename
    simms.jpg
    File size
    166.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 13 of 33, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Needing 8 of these for a usual 486er makes the situation even worse.

The bus is not the limiting factor... it is the latency of the IC chips that determine system performance.

60ns 30 pin SIMM's are more optimal than 70ns 72 pin SIMM's! If you find 72 pin SIMM's with a lower latency than 60ns then yes, they will be more optimal than what is typically available on a 30 pin PCB.

Reply 14 of 33, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Yes there are plenty of them around however at the prices that most go for put people off.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 15 of 33, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Yes there are plenty of them around however at the prices that most go for put people off.

Guess I am just lucky in the US. I can get brand new 4x 4MB 60ns simms for $22 shipped.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16MB-4x-4MB-30pin-SI … PC/162289926468

What is the shipping coming up as for where you are?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 33, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Will be O.K. for me as there are only few EISA boards around with PS/2 slots, most come with 30 pin, probably the same for VL bus boards.
You are right if talking about PCI based 486er.

386_junkie wrote:

60ns 30 pin SIMM's are more optimal than 70ns 72 pin SIMM's! If you find 72 pin SIMM's with a lower latency than 60ns then yes, they will be more optimal than what is typically available on a 30 pin PCB.

60 ns FPM chips seem to be pretty rare. Most in my stock is 60 ns EDO or 70 ns FPM.

Anonymous Coward wrote:

Yes, I am thinking of doing 16MB 30pin SIMMs as well...though I want to do it with modern components so that I can run them at 50MHz with as few wait states as possible.

16 MB should be possible using 2 Mbit x8 chips from 8 MB SIMMs. As mentioned before modern components are usually designed for 3.3 V or even less supply voltage and not capable of the 5V.

cyclone3d wrote:

What is the shipping coming up as for where you are?

They ask 14.50 $ shipping to Germany.

Reply 17 of 33, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've heard of custom SIMMs before, albeit mainly for the 64-pin variety that the Macintosh IIfx uses instead of the more standard 30-pin or 72-pin of its contemporaries. It's apparently the only way you're ever going to get the full 128 MB in one by maxing out all the DIMM slots.

The trick lies in finding the correct RAM ICs, hopefully in some kind of new-old-stock quantity and not pulls salvaged from existing SIMMs. If you can source those, then designing the PCB to put them on is relatively straightforward.

Reply 18 of 33, by oldpcguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
386_junkie wrote:
Thanks kixs. […]
Show full quote
kixs wrote:

386_junkie already has a project on this:

Re: Best 386 Motherboard?

Thanks kixs.

To confirm what most people are saying here... with the number, varieties, and different densities of SIMM's out there... there is really no reason to create your own SIMM's unless there is a specific application for which there is not a product or solution that already exists.... hence the requirement for custom parts.

I already have a collection of 1MB, 4MB, and 16MB... 30 pin SIMM's. The lowest latency available in each of these is 60ns... which is a limiting factor and is the very reason I have been experimenting and testing the various ways of making my own SIMM's.

Why am I doing this? On some of my 386 systems, running at 40MHz; 1/40 = 25ns clock cycles .... and 50MHz; 1/50 = 20ns clock cycles, the lowest latency DRAM requires more clock cycles than required with the CPU running 3x faster: -

60ns DRAM... 3 x 25ns clk cycles = 75ns or 3 x 20ns clk cycles = 60ns!

The solution to reduce latency was to create 40ns 30-pin SIMM's, which I have done, thus: -

40ns DRAM... 2 x 25ns clk cycles = 50ns or 2 x 20ns clk cycles = 40ns! 😁

The result... reducing DRAM as a bottleneck, creating a 386 that has lower system latency and faster RAM access.

You've built the better mousetrack (err 386 machine)

Reply 19 of 33, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eisapc wrote:
386_junkie wrote:

60 ns FPM chips seem to be pretty rare. Most in my stock is 60 ns EDO or 70 ns FPM.

Not as rare as you may think...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-HYUNDAI-HY531000A … te/182736425076

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V53C408HK60-MOSEL-20 … AM/111184910259

24/26 pin SOJ's @ 40ns? ... now they are rare!

NamelessPlayer wrote:

The trick lies in finding the correct RAM ICs, hopefully in some kind of new-old-stock quantity and not pulls salvaged from existing SIMMs. If you can source those, then designing the PCB to put them on is relatively straightforward.

This is true... but finding NOS is getting more difficult, almost impossible. A lot of dealers I've found and spoken to sell refurbished parts... I've bought small quantities and they did work ok.

IC's can be of various lengths... graphics cards IC's tend to use 4-bit wide DRAM... @ 256Kb, hence their code... 4256!

Other IC's I've come across are between 8-bits and 16-bits wide. For my project, I can only use 8-bits wide IC's as they are being used with 30-pin SIMM's.

oldpcguy wrote:

You've built the better mousetrack (err 386 machine)

Mousetrack? ... Great! Windows 95 would form part of the testing.

The SIMM's can be used on any 30-pin system... and are not limited to a 386.

Last edited by 386_junkie on 2018-04-07, 08:08. Edited 1 time in total.