VOGONS

Thinking of having a retro-pocalypse

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think about how much you make per hour or per day, or whatever. Then take a look at how much free time you have, that is, time away from work, away from your partner, and away from your kids. For me, that is zero, unless I elect to loose sleep, which I do frequently. Anyway, the point is, how much is your very limited free time worth? I would not loose sleep to make $20 or even $200 on eBay. If I wasn't married with children, my answer would probably be different. I used to like the cleansing feeling of getting rid of stuff.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 21 of 24, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Beige ATX towers, GeForce MX / Radeon 9200SE-type cards, power supplies, DVD drives, CRTs, SCSI gear, Sun/HP-UX, etc. There is ZERO market for anything like this locally (I can't even get ten bucks a system for most of it) and it's not worth my time to try to meet up with the neck-tatoo-lowlifes who crawl out of the woodwork in this town if you advertise something for free.

I reckon you safely chuck out the towers & CRT monitors unless they're something special and in great shape, probably a very limited market for SCSI gear & Sun/HP-UX

I would hang onto the Geforce MX card but only because I dont have any, a great option for lower end machines with AGP slots like Pentium 2/3 or K62-3 machines.

Also hang onto Optical drives in good running order IF they're beige/cream, harder to find good working ones these days.

Im trying to sell a machine locally at the moment, its nothing particularly special buts its a brand new mid tower case from early 2000s with a P3-450 & Voodoo 3-3000, my reserve is only about $90USD not really worth selling but I have no need for it, comes a time when everyone should rationalize their collection, most of us probably are holding onto too much.

Reply 23 of 24, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Wouldn't selling off the Voodoo3-3000 be easier on its own?

Good point, im not really about the money I need to cleanout my garage, bought 17 NOS cases(with 400watt psu) for about $5USD each from some old guy.

case1_zpszpfmxz01.jpg
case2_zpsyhp9xuuk.jpg

I reckon this guy sold himself short, NOS Evilking Voodoo3-3000s for what $95AUD(approx $70)??

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-3Dfx-Voodoo3- … =p2047675.l2557

Reply 24 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you go the space keep it. I've noticed more P4 based systems here as anything earlier is getting harder to find. 5 years or so I'd say P4 will become the defacto Win98 build PC.

But if you don't have the space bin it. I threw out most my old hardware 10 years ago including 386's and 486's, while I regret it now realisitly the space was needed more then any money I would have made selling it now.