VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Panasonic KX-P2130 printer (with the color kit).
I've tried to baby it over the years; I have 4 color ribbons (one of which is part of a spare color adapter kit). I absolutely loved this printer and when I dug it out of the closet a couple years ago, not only did it still work, but the ribbon still printed!

I've another dot-matrix printer (Okidata model Okimate 20) still stuck in the closet, and I hope to get a Commodore 1525-compatible printer in the near future (I just love its lack of descenders and 9-pin output... in addition to the machine-gun noise of its printing!)

What I'm concerned about is how to keep them healthy and working.
I have recently acquired some silicone lubricant, and some contact cleaner.
Should I use this to lube the rails of my Panasonic? Are there contacts that should be cleaned?
I'm most worried about the belt driving the print head. How can I keep it from breaking due to age? Is there replacement available?

While I have spare of ribbons for it, and even some ribbons for the Okidata (though they are the mylar disposable kind), I probably won't have any working ribbons for the 1525 compatible, I doubt they can be found. Is there a way to re-ink existing ribbons in 2018?

Any advice, experience or anecdotes are most welcome.
I know LGR (Lazy Game Reviews) is also a fan of dot-matrix printers. I'm thinking of urging him to do one or more videos about them.

(phun phact; while the Okimate 20 is designed to work with mylar ribbons, and is incredibly slow, it will also work with thermal paper... aka fax paper, which I believe you can still get).