VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use a Promise Ultra 100 TX2 PCI card in several of my computer builds. It contains two UDMA IDE ports. Does anyone know why is that when I try to load DOS CD-ROM drivers, DOS cannot locate a CD-ROM drive when it is connected to the Promise card? In Windows 95, the CD-ROM works fine when connected to the Promise card. Also, when I connect the CD-ROM to the motherboard's onboard IDE header, I can load the same DOS CD-ROM drivers fine. How do I get the Promise card to work with a CD-ROM drive in DOS? Promise does not provide DOS drivers for their PCI IDE cards and the manual says that they aren't necessary.

I'm sure someone must have run into this issue before, and if so, how did you resolve it? I have always used the Goldstar DOS CD-ROM driver, GSCDROM.SYS, and it works fine with the CD-ROM when connected to the motherboard's onboard IDE port (PIO-3 max). Is the DOS driver expecting the CD-ROM to be on IRQ's 14 or 15, because it is not on those IRQ's when connected to the Promise card?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 6, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you referring to UDVD2.SYS? I just tried that and it says "No drive to use" when trying to load UDVD2.SYS.

The Oak and Acer generic CD-ROM drivers allow changing the I/O port address and the IRQ, however, it is expecting the I/O port to only be 3 characters long.

DEVICE=VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:xxx,yy
where xxx = I/O port address in HEX and yy=interrupt in DEC.

The readme gives examples with I/O port 1F0 with IRQ 14; I/O port 170 with IRQ 15; 1E8 with IRQ 12; 168 with IRQ 10. My Promise Ultra 100 TX2 card is on IRQ 11, and according to Windows 95, it uses I/O port address of 6000-6007, 6100-6103, 6200-6207, 6300-6303, and 6400-640F. Can MS-DOS 6.22 use addresses this high? I'm starting to think maybe not.

In config.sys, I setup,
DEVICE=VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:6000,11 /P:6100,11 /P:6200,11 /P:6300,11 /P:6400,11

however, when using the Oak variant of VIDE-CDD.SYS, I get an error saying that it could not find the CD-ROM and when I use the newer Acer variant of VIDE-CDD.SYS, I get an error stating 'illegal request'.

I also tried CDROMGOD, which is a boot disk that allows you to select 1 of 40 different CD-ROM drivers. I tried about 15 and none of them could find the CD-ROM when connected to the Promise Ultra 100 TX2.

Reply 3 of 6, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The promise site has 3 different firmwares (BIOS) for the card. (One is for the WD version.)

I've had some Promise cards the were picky/weird as to Master/Slave/CS jumper settings on the drive.
I don't remember exactly but was something like.
Drive was wired (cabled) as Master but it wouldn't work with the drive jumpered as Master.
Without changing the cable I moved jumper to Slave or CS (which is what I don't remember) and it worked fine.
Same card/wiring but different HDD had to be jumpered as Master to work.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 6, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCBONEZ: You're back 'eh? I thought you had left the forum for good.

I have experienced very similar occurrences with Promise cards to what you describe. There are some quirks with some hardware, some cable and jumper configurations which I haven't bothered to narrow down. I have merely figured out what worked, and sent with that, then left it alone. I suspect you did the same. For the particular case in hand, the Promise identifies the HDD and CD-ROM just fine and it works just fine in Windows. I have come to the conclusion that there is no solution to problem I face. I vaguely remember another user experiencing this. I think it was elianda, but I cannot say for certain.

My solution to the OP problem was more of a retreat - I hooked the CD-ROM drive up to the onboard PIO-3 IDE port and left the HDD connected to the Promise card. I can now use the CD-ROM in DOS, but it is in PIO-3 mode instead of the UDMA3 mode offered by the Promise. If someone determines a solution to this issue, please post back. Normally, you don't need to use the CD-ROM in DOS unless some program wants to verify authenticity from the CD-ROM drive.

Reply 5 of 6, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

PCBONEZ: You're back 'eh? I thought you had left the forum for good.

Howdy back.
Anymore I only do the forum thing when I need an economical vacation from real life.
Or I threw my back out again, I'm stuck in a chair and bored as sh*t.
I'll be here a short while then I'll go *poof* for a long while.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.