VOGONS

Looking for 286 CPU upgrade "kit"

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
serguey bubka wrote:
Hi @TimWolf, what specific version of Hyundai do you have? Is it a 286N or a 286E? […]
Show full quote
TimWolf wrote:

Greetings @mwdmeyer, I just joined up because I am trying to upgrade my 12mhz Hyundai 286 and I think that the SX/25LCM is the only way to do it. Is this something you or anyone here has available? A little about the board. It is a socket like the attached photo. There are no jumpers. The crystal near the chip is 14.xxxmhz (solder blob obscuring most of that). Kingston made a SX/20LCM, SX/25LCM, and SX/33LCM. Am I correct in assuming these were intended to upgrade a 10mhz, 12mhz, and 16mhz respectively? There is an eBayer selling the SX/20LCM but I'm not sure that would work with my 12mhz unit. Can anyone confirm my hypothesis? Is the SX/25LCM indeed what I am to be searching for?
Thanks in advance everyone.

Hi @TimWolf, what specific version of Hyundai do you have? Is it a 286N or a 286E?

Sorry for the off-topic, I had no other way of reaching you.
Thankx.

It is the Super 286E version. Why do you ask?

Thanks

Reply 21 of 28, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I have a one of the fastest 286 upgrades available. It upgrades you to a 66MHz IBM 486SLC2 with 16kb internal cache. It runs at 66MHz regardless of the motherboard speed. It's the Evergreen Rev To 486. I have a very specific requirement for trading though. I want a 486SXL2-66 386 upgrade in return.

Does this IBM 486SLC2 fit in the socket like this? What socket of 486SXL2-66 is needed? Is 168 pin correct for your needs?

Thanks

Attachments

• 286.jpg
    Filename
    286.jpg
    File size
    95.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes indeed, the Evergreen 286 upgrade module I have fits a 68-pin PLCC 286 socket like the one in your picture. It can also be installed in a PGA socket with an adapter.

EvergreenIBM-Cyrix-286-upgrade-L.jpg

The 486SXL2-66 module I'm looking for is not the 168-pin version. It's a 144pin PQFP chip mounted on an adapter which fits a 132-pin 386 socket. The most common one was made by evergreen, but it may have also been used by other upgrade vendors.

486SXL2-G50-HBN-PQFP-F.JPG

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 23 of 28, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well it doesn't appear I've won that lottery. I don't have, nor can I find one of the 144pin style for you. Apparently very costly. Are you aware of this thread where they appear to be making an effort to recreate something that should do the same thing with the easier to find chip?

Custom interposer module for TI486SXL2-66 PGA168 to PGA132 - HELP!

Would love to upgrade my Super 286 but alas, it seems nearly impossible to find things to do it.

Reply 24 of 28, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:
Yes indeed, the Evergreen 286 upgrade module I have fits a 68-pin PLCC 286 socket like the one in your picture. It can also be i […]
Show full quote

Yes indeed, the Evergreen 286 upgrade module I have fits a 68-pin PLCC 286 socket like the one in your picture. It can also be installed in a PGA socket with an adapter.

EvergreenIBM-Cyrix-286-upgrade-L.jpg

The 486SXL2-66 module I'm looking for is not the 168-pin version. It's a 144pin PQFP chip mounted on an adapter which fits a 132-pin 386 socket. The most common one was made by evergreen, but it may have also been used by other upgrade vendors.

486SXL2-G50-HBN-PQFP-F.JPG

Is it possible to have the model number of this amazing 486 chip that will work in my 286 so I can at least be on the lookout for one, if you are not willing to sell it?

Thanks

Reply 25 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Evergreen "Rev To 486" part 295. The 50Mhz version is part 294. You can also consider "Make it 486" from Improve It Technologies, and I think Kingston also had a few kits. You can also try Yahoo Japan. There are some upgrades designed for PC98 systems, but I have two from Buffalo and they work just fine in my AT. Most of these kits are a kind of a pain in the ass to get fully working anyway.

Reply 26 of 28, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Evergreen "Rev To 486" part 295. The 50Mhz version is part 294. You can also consider "Make it 486" from Improve It Technologies, and I think Kingston also had a few kits. You can also try Yahoo Japan. There are some upgrades designed for PC98 systems, but I have two from Buffalo and they work just fine in my AT. Most of these kits are a kind of a pain in the ass to get fully working anyway.

Thank you very much. Do you think this will work?

Attachments

Reply 27 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think there is a reasonable chance it will. Looks like an IODATA. Try to find out what the DIP switches do.