VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have read some comments from other people with the 400cdt line that it comes with a CDrom drive Ide that can be changed but they made something in the bios that makes the replacement drive not usable if the drive ia not toshiba branded.

has anyone tested the notebooks with other drives? i did test it with an HP one and hanged on booting.

Reply 1 of 7, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it's somewhat common from OEM and manufacturers to get the computer to work properly only with the original hardware, cutting any effort to make an upgrade
my gateway laptop has the same problem, i can use a ide dvd drive but the bios will not boot from there, making 9x os install not worth the hassle, despite being the only os that makes it shine

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 2 of 7, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes but i don´t know whats their limit, for example

the notebook came with an XM-1502B cdrom drive
what would happen if you replace it with an XM-1802B drive? would it work? nobody in the forum got an old toshiba that swapped the drive?

there are many models

Toshiba XM-1402B

Toshiba XM-1602B

Toshiba XM-1702B

Toshiba XM-1802B

Reply 4 of 7, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i never did that, but i think that its locked to a single model of drive, because its written in the bios that this model has that drive and nothing more
anyway, if you can get any other drive from another totally different laptop, you can make some tests

i don't know the specs of the laptop, but if it has PXE boot, i can help you in installing the os without cd drive, or without the original one

Reply 5 of 7, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Although this might not completely answer your question, I managed to swap optical drives between a Toshiba Tecra 710CDT and a Toshiba Satellite 315CDS. Both of the drives were Toshiba-branded, the main difference is the Tecra had a 16x CD-ROM drive and the Satellite had a 20x CD-ROM drive. I've never had the courage to test a non-Toshiba optical drive on either laptop so I'm not sure if I got lucky or these laptops really are brand sensitive when it comes to optical drives.

For what it's worth, I believe some older laptop optical drives had a jumper switch for master/slave/cable select just like desktop drives, maybe it needs a drive with that switch set to a specific position? (this is just a hunch, this may or may not be the case)

weldum wrote:

my gateway laptop has the same problem, i can use a ide dvd drive but the bios will not boot from there, making 9x os install not worth the hassle, despite being the only os that makes it shine

That sounds a lot like what happens when I use a non-HP certified optical drive in my HP e-PC C10. The BIOS will refuse to allow booting from a different optical drive, but it'll still work in Windows and boot floppies with CD-ROM drivers. There are boot floppies with the ability to boot from the optical drive regardless of BIOS limitations (provided your machine can boot from floppy drives - either USB, internal, or proprietary external - of course).

Reply 6 of 7, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
Although this might not completely answer your question, I managed to swap optical drives between a Toshiba Tecra 710CDT and a T […]
Show full quote

Although this might not completely answer your question, I managed to swap optical drives between a Toshiba Tecra 710CDT and a Toshiba Satellite 315CDS. Both of the drives were Toshiba-branded, the main difference is the Tecra had a 16x CD-ROM drive and the Satellite had a 20x CD-ROM drive. I've never had the courage to test a non-Toshiba optical drive on either laptop so I'm not sure if I got lucky or these laptops really are brand sensitive when it comes to optical drives.

For what it's worth, I believe some older laptop optical drives had a jumper switch for master/slave/cable select just like desktop drives, maybe it needs a drive with that switch set to a specific position? (this is just a hunch, this may or may not be the case)

weldum wrote:

That sounds a lot like what happens when I use a non-HP certified optical drive in my HP e-PC C10. The BIOS will refuse to allow booting from a different optical drive, but it'll still work in Windows and boot floppies with CD-ROM drivers. There are boot floppies with the ability to boot from the optical drive regardless of BIOS limitations (provided your machine can boot from floppy drives - either USB, internal, or proprietary external - of course).

Of course, you can get plop boot manager in a floppy to boot from usb or an unsupported optical drive. For example, in my gateway laptop i booted the plop's iso image via PXE, so that i can install windows 98 from the cd. This method though has a big problem, booting from PXE eats conventional memory, making any dos based OS really hard to install due to the setup not being able to start.

Reply 7 of 7, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish there was an CDrom IDE emulator like the gotek that works in DOS/WIN and supports BIN/CUE. I have a pile of PC CD drives because i never know which one will fail, and i know they will all die sooner or later. Its incredible that it has not been invented yet.

i have seen one from korea i belive but it only accepts ISO, therefore no audio tracks for example.And it has drivers for win2000 and newer, but not older OS

Was there ever a CDrom emulator software for win 3.11? I remember using Daemon tools on win98, but what about win3.11 and win95?