VOGONS

First post, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I managed to get Minecraft working on my retro PC yesterday. It currently has a Pentium III 600EB, 320MB of RAM and a GeForce2 MX400. Got 30FPS max, when looking at the sky with tiny render distance.

The reason I'm posting this is because...

Official source has it that the Alpha and Beta only require a P6 core processor to run. So basically... Since it's been proven that it can also run on the Pentium II, I'm very curious to find out what would happen if someone attempted to test it on a high end Pentium Pro system since it's the first P6 core processor! Not only that, it turns out some Socket 8 motherboards support up to 1GB of EDO RAM. My extreme dream is to one day get a quad socket daughterboard and a high end PCI graphics card to remove the graphical bottleneck.

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 1 of 12, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

RIP nobody's interested

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 3 of 12, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Win 98 SE

Reply 5 of 12, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Which OS/version did you use to get such speed ?

Forgot the version, I used Alpha 1.1.2_01 because I didn't want to bother with more recent ones. There are a few mods that significantly boost 1.7.10's performance, though.

Reply 6 of 12, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Someone made a partial port for the Amstrad CPC a while back (so, that would be 4MHz Z80 and either 64K or 128K memory (depends on which CPC model they were using)).

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/10/amscraf … mstrad-cpc.html

Why? Who knows but they did it anyway.

Reply 7 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PKFreeZZy wrote:
Hey all, […]
Show full quote

Hey all,

I managed to get Minecraft working on my retro PC yesterday. It currently has a Pentium III 600EB, 320MB of RAM and a GeForce2 MX400. Got 30FPS max, when looking at the sky with tiny render distance.

Official source has it that the Alpha and Beta only require a P6 core processor to run. So basically... Since it's been proven that it can also run on the Pentium II, I'm very curious to find out what would happen if someone attempted to test it on a high end Pentium Pro system since it's the first P6 core processor! Not only that, it turns out some Socket 8 motherboards support up to 1GB of EDO RAM. My extreme dream is to one day get a quad socket daughterboard and a high end PCI graphics card to remove the graphical bottleneck.

Oldest system I've tried running it on is an Athlon XP running at 2Ghz. I tested it with a 9800 Pro, FX 5950 Ultra and a 6800 Ultra. Was pretty amazing to see the game run so well.

The biggest issue I ran into was actually getting the game working on an old operating system (XP). I had to run an older version of the game that supported an older Java version that was still XP compatible. Can you explain what process you went through to get the game running in 98? What Java version and what game\installer version did you use?

I'd love to try running it on a much older system though. I think it'd be cool to see what an old PC could manage at then-common software rendering resolutions (320x240, 400x300, etc.).

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2018-04-20, 23:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 8 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gca wrote:

Someone made a partial port for the Amstrad CPC a while back (so, that would be 4MHz Z80 and either 64K or 128K memory (depends on which CPC model they were using)).

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/10/amscraf … mstrad-cpc.html

Why? Who knows but they did it anyway.

I don't know if that qualifies as a port. It looks more like a from-scratch made game that has an isometric view and blocks. Still cool, but not really indicative of anything related to Minecraft running on older systems.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 10 of 12, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Oldest system I've tried running it on is an Athlon XP running at 2Ghz. I tested it with a 9800 Pro, FX 5950 Ultra and a 6800 Ul […]
Show full quote
PKFreeZZy wrote:
Hey all, […]
Show full quote

Hey all,

Oldest system I've tried running it on is an Athlon XP running at 2Ghz. I tested it with a 9800 Pro, FX 5950 Ultra and a 6800 Ultra. Was pretty amazing to see the game run so well.

The biggest issue I ran into was actually getting the game working on an old operating system (XP). I had to run an older version of the game that supported an older Java version that was still XP compatible. Can you explain what process you went through to get the game running in 98? What Java version and what game\installer version did you use?

I'd love to try running it on a much older system though. I think it'd be cool to see what an old PC could manage at then-common software rendering resolutions (320x240, 400x300, etc.).

I used Java 1.6.10 and the launcher that was released when 1.6 came out, as well as KernelEx. The real trouble was actually getting the installer for Java to work because it would keep asking for Windows Installer 2.0. After eventually finding it and setting it up everything else went smoothly. The reason for that is because Minecraft literally only needs Java so if it finds that it'll probably even work on Win95.

Reply 11 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

I've had Minetest run in a 98SE'd PowerVR PCX2 machine once. It didn't agree with all the textures being 16x16-sized (PCX2 min texture size is 32x32)

Can you give any instructions on how you did that ? ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative