VOGONS

Via C3 Build Help Needed

Topic actions

First post, by jamesbeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to build a machine that can be slowed down to replicate a 286, 386, 486 (and maybe a Pentium, though this is less important because I already have a Pentium Pro machine).
8088 would be awesome too, but I don't know if that's possible.

I was initially looking at the Phil's Computer Lab build with a Super Socket 7 motherboard and an AMD K6-2+ or 3+, but some people have suggested using a Via C3 instead.

I read the thread about SetMul, and it looks like a C3 would be just the ticket.
SetMul - Multiplier control for VIA C3 / AMD K6+7+8 Mobile / Cyrix 5x86

I have also come to the conclusion that I am seriously out of my depth, so I could use a little help!

I have two main questions:

1. Which Via C3 should I get?
It looks as though the Nehemiah one would not really do what I want.

The Ezra-T looks like it gave good results, but what about the regular Ezra, Samuel etc?
These CPU's are not that common, so I'm hoping I don't have to find a specific one.

2. I have one Slot 1 motherboard and three Socket 370s.

Unfortunately, they are all OEM boards - I have three Dells and a Gateway.

Dell 4100: Motherboard is an OEM version of Intel D815EEA, came with a Socket 370 PIII (Coppermine I think? The one with no heat spreader).

Dell l433c: No idea of motherboard model, but came with a Socket 370 Celeron 433 Mendocino.

Dell l550r: Similar to the l433c but with a Socket 370 PIII. I'm not 100% sure which PIII is in this one. It is VERY dirty inside and I want to clean it up a bit before I expose the socket.

Gateway GP6-400: This is a Slot 1 board, but I don't seem to be able to identify it. I actually have two of these. One was originally a PII machine, and the other (GP7-600 or something) is a PIII.
The motherboards appear to be identical.

Is the VIA chip likely to work in any of these OEM boards?

Reply 1 of 57, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The VIA processor would only work on a board, such as the Shuttle AV18 V3 that has the VIA AGPSet (I have this board and the VIA C3 700A processor) since the OEM boards are locked on Pentium III and only Pentium III processors due to the BIOS code being altered to fit the manufacturers needs.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2 of 57, by jamesbeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

The VIA processor would only work on a board, such as the Shuttle AV18 V3 that has the VIA AGPSet

Are you sure?
I've seen quite a few C-3 builds based on boards with the Intel 440BX chipset.

Reply 4 of 57, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could also find one of the many mini-ITX boards that had these chips installed (albeit naturally you will have to deal with losing many expansion slots/etc compared to full-size boards). The original EPIA-533 and EPIA-800 boards had passively-cooled C3 Samuel2 chips soldered on, and the EPIA V variations traded one of the two IDE connectors for an FDD connector. These also used high-quality Sanyo capacitors, unlike the later Nehemiah-based >=1GHz models.

Reply 5 of 57, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of the early epia boards also have built in Sound Blaster compatibility, so you wouldn’t even need a sound card.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 6 of 57, by jamesbeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BinaryDemon wrote:

Some of the early epia boards also have built in Sound Blaster compatibility, so you wouldn’t even need a sound card.

Yes, I've been looking at those, and I will probably get one some time in the future.

That's not really the direction I want to go with this build though.
I'm thinking of doing some case modding to show off the vintage hardware, and those boards are just too modern.

Reply 8 of 57, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using a 800MHz C3 Ezra on a MSI MS-6119, which is a 440BX/Slot1 board, together with a MS 6905 Master slotket. It's the 133MHz FSB model, but works fine to run it at 100x8 MHz too.

Haven't had any problems whatsoever with that rig. Everything just works. Guessing that just about any 440BX board with a VRM that can supply the required voltage (1.35V in my case) would work with C3.

Reply 9 of 57, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A combination like that works fine with an SE440BX-2. The Intel supplied BIOS is fairly crippled, so it's a fair indication of how an Ezra would work with OEM Slot 1 boards featuring capable enough VRMs.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 57, by jamesbeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ended up just buying another motherboard - it cost about the same as a slotket, and this board is on the Via list of compatible boards.

It looks like finding a processor is going to be the difficult part.

If I'm not bothered about PI performance, and only care about 286, 386, and 486, could I use a Samuel or Samuel 2 core instead of an Ezra?

I did try reading all the benchmark stuff, but it seems to pertain mostly to the Ezra-T and Nehemiah.

Reply 11 of 57, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Samuel 2 800MHz has all the same options as Ezra-T but a lower top clock speed. I think it would still serve your purposes.

Equally important is whether your Motherboard can change FSB speed from 66 to 100 to 133MHz or something. When disabling processor caches memory access through FSB becomes the next limiting factor.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 12 of 57, by jamesbeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The manual says that it is compatible with 66, 100 and 133MHz FSB processors.

Is that what I'm looking for?

I honestly believed I was reasonably competent around old pc stuff, but this all new to me.

Reply 13 of 57, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does the manual have shots of the BIOS screen. Any options to manually choose the FSB clock?

Reply 15 of 57, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

66mhz FSB along with slow memory timings gives 386DX-25 performance. It's conceivable that 50mhz FSB would drop the speed equivalent down to around, say, a Harris 286-20.

Reply 16 of 57, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have not experimented with memory timings, whatsoever so perhaps that is why.

With my Ezra (866 rated chip) clocked at its lowest 150mhz (50x3.0) and cache disabled I had the following benchmarks:

8.6 3DBench; 2.7 PC Player Bench; 7.87 SpeedSys, and 3.84FPS in Doom. You are saying other settings (memory) could noticeably decrease speeds further?

Reply 19 of 57, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Other results indicate the real performance of a 286 is about 10-20% slower than a 386DX of equivalent clock.
download/file.php?id=26613&mode=view

With full SETMUL slowdown options in play at 66mhz FSB, my C3 can achieve performance approximating a 386DX-25 as per NSSI. I anticipate 50mhz FSB and degraded memory timings will deliver fast 286 performance, but I'd love to hear your results.