VOGONS

First post, by old_MySpace

User metadata

Hi everyone, today I bought this Kraft joystick.
Read the UPDATE, thanks!
When I plugged it into my PC it didn't got detected. I tried connecting it into the game ports and with a usb adapter from a sidewinder joystick I had. Still it didn't got recognized.
I tried it in my Windows 98 PC which it didn't got recognized with the adapter and connecting it straight to the game port.
I tried connecting it with my modern PC only with the USB adapter, and it didn't got recognized in Windows 7 and XP.

Does anybody have a clue?
Photos are below:

UPDATE:
OK, I managed to get it working in Windows 98 using the game port. It uses the joystick with two axis and two buttons configuration after I installed the generic drivers from the add a new joystick button.
Works perfectly, but now the is another problem. When I calibrate it, it shakes around in the center a little bit. It might be dirty contacts or a conflict software wìse?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MySpace wrote:

When I calibrate it, it shakes around in the center a little bit. It might be dirty contacts or a conflict software wìse?

I wouldn't be surprised if the insides of the joystick needed a bit of cleaning. You could also spend a bit of time rolling the centering adjustment knobs back and forth to help out - but a good cleaning would probably be best.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 4, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MySpace wrote:

When I plugged it into my PC it didn't got detected. I tried connecting it into the game ports and with a usb adapter from a sidewinder joystick I had. Still it didn't got recognized.
I tried it in my Windows 98 PC which it didn't got recognized with the adapter and connecting it straight to the game port.
I tried connecting it with my modern PC only with the USB adapter, and it didn't got recognized in Windows 7 and XP.

That sidewinder USB adapter only works with joysticks that have USB functionality built in.

MySpace wrote:

Works perfectly, but now the is another problem. When I calibrate it, it shakes around in the center a little bit. It might be dirty contacts or a conflict software wìse?

If it is only "shaking a little bit", I think that is the expected operation. Analog PC joysticks are not known for being precise instruments. Games should tolerate the noise.

Reply 3 of 4, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an old Gravis Analog Pro that has 4-button (actually 5 if you count the trigger, 2 are programmable via the potentiometers) with throttle control, manual adjustment screws, and how loose/tight the joystick can be. In some games, like Secret of Monkey Island, the cursor goes to the bottom right of the screen, and in Police Quest EGA, and other Sierra On-Line games, the same thing happens to the character.

I believe I need to dismantle mine and clean it out since that's sometimes jumpy in Windows itself as well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 4 of 4, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey that's a great looking joystick! I like it alot! I've been wanting to get an old CH Products Mach 1/2/3 joystick similar to yours for a long time. One of these days, I'm sure I'll find one at a thrift store.

Anyways, as The Goat already mentioned, those USB adapters will only work with MS Sidewinder Precision Pro joysticks. Even then, it will only work with models numbered 57540. Although it doesn't work with your Kraft joystick, you should still hang onto it. In my experience, those adapters can be difficult to find. Also, the Sidewinder Precision Pro is an excellent joystick. Should you ever acquire one, you'll want that USB adapter for it.

If you want to eliminate the jittery centering on your joystick's calibration, you need this ancient utility:

CTFJ V3.20

It only works in Win9x, unfortunately.

If you still want to connect your joystick via USB (I wouldn't), these converters work well:

Rockfire Gameport to USB adapter