VOGONS

First post, by Dystopia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The board in question: GA-8I865GVMK.

There's clearly a spot where an AGP slot was meant to go on other variants. Question is whether AGP can be wrestled away from the integrated video or not.

Reply 1 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Northbridge must also be changed and you most probably need BIOS from a model with AGP slot present.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 12, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Northbridge is a i865G so from a purely technical standpoint it could work.

Could you do it. - I dunno.
Could I do it. - Probably, but I wouldn't even try.

It's far more involved than just adding the slot.
You'd have to restore all the signal and power paths and most likely you'd have to install a large number of small SMD parts to do that.
To figure out where they need to be and their values you would need to acquire the same board but with the AGP slot to use as a guide.

If you have to acquire one with the slot anyway then why not just use that one and skip all the work?
Overall it would be cheaper, faster (you'd be runnin' sooner), and no chance of damaging the AGP-less board.

===
I have done similar (years ago) with ISA slots but I had both board versions already in-hand.
ISA is much easier than AGP.
The older boards are lower parts density and there are fewer connections to figure out with ISA.
It's only a fun project before you start. Even with ISA once you start it turns into a pita very fast.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2018-04-22, 11:44. Edited 2 times in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 12, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:
... It's far more involved than just adding the slot. You'd have to restore all the signal and power paths and most likely you'd […]
Show full quote

It's far more involved than just adding the slot.
You'd have to restore all the signal and power paths and most likely you'd have to install/replace a large number of small SMD parts to do that.
To figure out where they need to be and their values you would need to acquire the same board but with the AGP slot to use as a guide.

If you have to acquire one with the slot anyway then why not just use that one and skip all the work?
Overall it would be cheaper, faster (you'd be runnin' sooner), and no chance of damaging the AGP-less board.

This.

Getting your hands on a board with an AGP slot is probably cheaper than adding it yourself. Of course, it would be a fun project if you are into that sort of thing 😉

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 6 of 12, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

Wrong. Northbridge is an i865GV so from a purely technical standpoint it does not support standalone AGP. Tiido was correct.

Tiido wrote:

Northbridge must also be changed and you most probably need BIOS from a model with AGP slot present.

Reply 7 of 12, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Wrong. Northbridge is an i865GV so from a purely technical standpoint it does not support standalone AGP. Tiido was correct.

I was not wrong and that is self evident by the numerous i865GV boards with AGP slots in the wild.

The question was - can the slot be installed and have it function.
The answer is yes. - But it's too much trouble.

What I did not do is assume the OP does not know what the slot is for as you and Tiido did.
The OP didn't ask anything about "standalone" AGP. You two assumed that.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 8 of 12, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
I was not wrong and that is self evident by the numerous i865GV boards with AGP slots in the wild. […]
Show full quote

I was not wrong and that is self evident by the numerous i865GV boards with AGP slots in the wild.

What I did not do is assume the OP does not know what the slot is for as you and Tiido did.

When the OP says "AGP slot" I assume the OP wants a working AGP slot, not a DVO slot.

Reply 9 of 12, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
I was not wrong and that is self evident by the numerous i865GV boards with AGP slots in the wild. […]
Show full quote

When the OP says "AGP slot" I assume the OP wants a working AGP slot, not a DVO slot.

As I just said...

At this point it doesn't matter does it?
The OP already admitted it's too much of a project.

Reply 10 of 12, by Dystopia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lazibayer wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
Show full quote

For the record, this was indeed the purpose. I wanted to be able to stick a video card in and use it.

What is a DVO slot anyway? Google isn't turning anything up.

Reply 11 of 12, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dystopia wrote:

For the record, this was indeed the purpose. I wanted to be able to stick a video card in and use it.

What is a DVO slot anyway? Google isn't turning anything up.

DVO stands for Digital Video Out. It has the same appearance as an AGP slot but merely provides additional video output such as DVI in addition to onboard VGA.

20394719749_71e3a881cd_b.jpg

This technology dates back to the 815 era and most 815/845/865 chipsets with integrated graphics supports both regular AGP cards and DVO cards (not simultaneously), so there is no problem calling them AGP slots on these boards. But 865GV only supports DVO cards, so technically the "AGP" slots are DVO slots on the 865GV boards with Intel's vanilla design.
There are 865GV boards out there with crippled "AGP" slots. To name a few: Asrock's AGI, Epox's AGX, Biostar's XGP, ECS's AGP Express, MSI's AGR, etc. They are essentially bridged PCI slots and stemmed from the southbridge, not the northbridge. To my best knowledge these implementations are buggy and Gigabyte was not part of the game.

Reply 12 of 12, by RaYaNt3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What a joke... A good mobo without a leg...

I think it would be a better option searching for a different one... (where I live people almost give away 478s, maybe 15/20€ for an entire system)