VOGONS

First post, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bashing my head against a wall here almost certainly missing something obvious...

I have a nice Quantum Fireball EX 10.2GB drive I want to use in one of two ~1999 era motherboards:

Tekram P5MVP-A4 (Via MVP3, with beta BIOS with K6+ support and supposedly up to 137GB HDD)
Tyan Tsunami S1846 (i440BX, with last BIOS 2.0.02, supports HDDs up to at least 32GB)

Desired OS: DOS 7.1 and/or Win98SE (i.e. same base, with FAT32 support)

So a 10GB HDD shouldn't be a problem...?

The HDD is detected by BIOS as 10263MB, with 19885 cylinders, 16 heads and 63 sectors. LBA & block mode are on.

I then partitioned it, both with DOS and linux fdisk, and gdisk. All three give me the desired partitions:
1 PRI DOS active 5726.3MB FAT32
2 LINUX SWAP 494.2MB (or "Non-DOS" in DOS fdisk)
3 LINUX 3561.3MB (or "Non-DOS" in DOS fdisk)

For good measure I used DOS fdisk and gdisk /mbr just in case something was messed up there. No change.

So if I do FORMAT C: it should format the 6GB partition? Nope. No matter what I do, it tells me "Formatting 9,781.73M". Which eventually claims to succeed, but of course cannot actually contain more than 6GB, leading to lost data as soon as anything is written to area over 6GB (and a failed Win98SE install).

What should I be doing to make DOS format recognize the partition created/and or shown by fdisk/gdisk?

Reply 2 of 10, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have had success using an IDE to USB adapter and formatting the hard drives on my modern computer. I then just plug them into the DOS computer and everything works fine.

Reply 3 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know I could format this stuff on another computer or another OS on this one, but I'm trying to figure out what is going wrong here. I know I was using a 13GB disk for Win98SE back in 1999, so it's not like this size is impossible.

Have been messing around a bit more and it looks like it's a 1024 cylinder limit issue. As long as I keep the boot partition below cylinder 1024 it works, as soon as it goes above it, DOS 7.1 / Windows 98SE lose it and fail to recognise any partitioning at all. The 1024 cylinder issue is well-known, but should only affect DOS 7.0 and lower, not 7.1/Win98.

For now I've gotten it to work by using a 5GB primary partition instead of a 6GB one, but I'd still like to understand why this behaviour is occurring.

Reply 5 of 10, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Experience the same with both mobos?
If not which one are you using?

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 6 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrau wrote:

if this is the 8gb limit, then all bios based access will fail - all versions of dos to my knowledge and windows non-nt as long as non 32 bit drivers are used;

Thing is that before the update both BIOS gave the HDDs as 8192MB, but after update both showed correct size (10.2GB). On the Tekram P5MVP-A4 everything up to 137GB should be supported and is at least recognized correctly in BIOS.

So BIOS doesn't seem the problem here.

PCBONEZ wrote:

Experience the same with both mobos?
If not which one are you using?

Yes, same in both. Right now I have the disk in the Tyan Tsunami, but I had exactly the same behaviour in the Tekram P5MVP-A4. So it's the combination of software (bog standard DOS 7.1 and Win98SE installers from two different sources, the Win98SE is an official install CD) and HDD as far as I can see.

Reply 7 of 10, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MS DOS 7.1 or PC DOS 7.1
I dunno what might be different to cause this but that might matter.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 8 of 10, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

[Easter egging here]
Maybe try FORMAT and FDISK from a WinME BOOT disk.
They may have patched some compatibility issue with that drive model in the later versions.

Reply 9 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win9x with FAT32 support should be good for that sort of size. First, don't use gdisk as that will create a GPT which DOS can't use. For that matter, just in case there's some kind of overlay on the disk, I'd recommend zeroing out the full MBR.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1 count=512

Then create the partition table via fdisk. How about creating the partition itself with mkfs.vfat via Linux and seeing if it's accessible via DOS?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 10, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
Win9x with FAT32 support should be good for that sort of size. First, don't use gdisk as that will create a GPT which DOS can't […]
Show full quote

Win9x with FAT32 support should be good for that sort of size. First, don't use gdisk as that will create a GPT which DOS can't use. For that matter, just in case there's some kind of overlay on the disk, I'd recommend zeroing out the full MBR.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1 count=512

Then create the partition table via fdisk. How about creating the partition itself with mkfs.vfat via Linux and seeing if it's accessible via DOS?

That

I always zero the whole disc for OS changes. Been doing it so long it's automatic.
Didn't even occur to me that others might not.