VOGONS

First post, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I got meself not one, not two, but three Siemens-Nixdorfs PCD-4ND. I thought I was so smart... y'know, combine them into one working, one backup and a pile of spare parts.

What I didn't see coming was how many different models and variants there were and that some of them have already been tampered with in the decades that have passed, so it's a Russian roulette when it comes to what's inside:

SiemensNixdorTripleFeature.jpg
Filename
SiemensNixdorTripleFeature.jpg
File size
456.15 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

(sorry for the writing, I did it on my Note during a boring meeting)

Two computers have TNT screens (#1 broken, #2 working, but just), one absolutely terrible DSTN screen (#3). One of DX4/75 has radiator (#3), one doesn't (#1). Two have sound cards, although #1 works fine, #2 is acting weird, #3 however doesn't have anything there. On a positive side, #1 has IR port. Oh, and trackball in #1 is missing a piece, so the ball falls out every now and then. Argh.

I am now working on combining them into two more or less working and piling broken and non-functional parts on the last one. So far there are some surprises that I will describe below when I have a moment.

Reply 1 of 2, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have put DSTN screen, faulty trackball and 75MHz processor without radiator on #3. Intend to sell it on an auction to recuperate at least some costs.

What I can't understand, though, is this: I switched LCD screens so that computer #1, my favourite (working sound, loudspeaker and IR port), would have a working TFT screen from #2. And there is something weird happening. Namely, the image is being disturbed when displaying text (as in: Bios, Norton/Volkov Commander, etc). Looks like some white noise and/or interference. However, when I turned on Targhan game, the image is stable. So I put it back into #2 and, ahem, #2 doesn't power up...

20180423_220012.jpg
Filename
20180423_220012.jpg
File size
618.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20180423_215800.jpg
Filename
20180423_215800.jpg
File size