VOGONS

First post, by Superfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
This is my first post, of many no doubt. I have looked and looked but I cannot find online the answer to my problem, so I'm hoping you may point me in the right direction.
I recently bought a second hand Thinkpad 600e to relive the glory days, and so far I have managed to install Windows 98SE.
I also picked up a PCMCIA Compact Flash adaptor, and a SanDisk Ultra 16GB CF card with a view to using it as removable storage for programs and games.
When the CF card is first inserted windows 98 prompts to use the Standard IDE/ESDI Hard disk controller. The CF card is recognised in device manager as SanDisk-SDP, but the yellow exclamation mark points to a Code 10 error (Device not present, not working properly or does not have a driver installed).
There is no drive letter assigned to the CF card, but the machine knows its inserted and it can be unmounted using "Unplug or Eject Hardware" in the Task bar.
The card is formatted using windows 10 as FAT32.
If anybody knows what I can do, or where I can obtain a driver I would be very grateful.

Reply 1 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Superfish wrote:

I recently bought a second hand Thinkpad 600e to relive the glory days, and so far I have managed to install Windows 98SE.
I also picked up a PCMCIA Compact Flash adaptor, and a SanDisk Ultra 16GB CF card with a view to using it as removable storage for programs and games.

Hi and good morning,
I do know little about the Thinkpad 600e, but I've got an old Compaq Armada running 98SE.
Whenever I try to to run FDISK on the command prompt, the limit is about ~8GB.
It happens with both USB card readers and PCMCIA adapters for CF cards,
if I remember correctly.

PS: Welcome to Vogons! 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 12, by Superfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Ireland so it's very early here.
So I guess I should try 2 8GB partitions? Ill, just partition the CF card on my win10 machine and ill let you know how it goes.

Reply 3 of 12, by Superfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No luck. I made a partition smaller than 8GB, but the symptoms are the same.
I forgot to mention before, but when I enable the CF card using the Thinkpad configuration utility I get an error message: "The following device is not working or the driver for the device has not loaded properly. Device name: SanDisk-SDP".
Thanks all the same for your time, and have a nice day.

Reply 4 of 12, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it may need a custom driver since is basically a card reader, sadly i don't know if such driver exists, only compact flash are working without drivers because they're basically IDE in PCMCIA (ISA based)

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 5 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sounds similar to when you insert a USB stick in Win98, which I guess you are basically doing as it's a different type of mass media device.

You may get lucky by installing the unofficial service pack. This adds generic drivers for USB sticks so maybe it'll also work for your card reader?

Reply 6 of 12, by Superfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

After reading your comment chinny22 I installed the Unofficial service pack.
That took a long time, and there was a few errors, but it still works 😀
So I got is working guys. I updated the driver for the CF card after the service pack install and now it gives me a different error.
"SanDisk-SDP: This device cannot find any free Interrupt Request (IRQ) resources to use (Code 12). If you want to use this device you must disable another device that is using the resources this device needs."
So I ran the troubleshooting wizard and disabled the infra red port and success. The drive is now assigned a letter and it's working. Copied a game and it loaded just fine.

Thanks again to everyone that helped.

Reply 7 of 12, by Superfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I probably should create a new thread for this question, but I figured this question is somewhat related so I'll tack it on to the end of this thread. If this is not OK I will understand.

I would like to access the PCMCIA CF card in DOS as a drive. Is this possible? I see there are Cardsoft drivers on the Lenovo ThinkPad 600e driver library. Would this be the driver I would use?

Reply 8 of 12, by joedemo42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently set up my ThinkPad X24 as a Windows 98 SE retro gaming machine and love it so far. I've had no issues at all so far with the CF card reader. One tip I can give you is: Insert the CF card before starting the installation of Win98 so it will automatically pick up the drivers for it.

Also, do not install the unofficial service pack. It's not really necessary and some of the things it installs and changes aren't all that helpful. _some_ details (in german) here.

Check for drivers for your here. I suggest installing Graphics, Sound, Network and Chipset.
As for Windows Updates I suggest Direct X 9.0c, Windows Installer Update, IE60SP1, Windows Media Player 9 and .NET Framework 2.0. That's what I have, and everything is working just fine. (If you want to look at some more tools, look here.)

As for partition sizes: I've on 32GB partition on my 32 GB CF Card and it works great. Regarding DOS, you find the DOS driver at the link I mentioned earlier.

Cheers,

-joe

Reply 9 of 12, by Superfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the tips joedemo42. I already installed the unofficial service pack, but next time I install windows I'll do it your way. I'm just finding my feet at the mo. I was quite young when I played these games, so I'm learning and relearning most of it.

Reply 11 of 12, by Superfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the CF card to work with Win98se using the unofficial service pack. I mentioned that in a post above. I haven't attempted to get it working in DOS yet. At the moment I'm copying stuff from the CF card to the hard drive using windows, and then booting into DOS to load. I'm surprised how many DOS programs refuse to work in windows, but it's fine as long as they work in the end.