VOGONS

First post, by Fimbulvetr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need some help figuring out a Supermicro Super P5STE Rev 4 (Socket 7, Intel 430HX chipset) motherboard that came with a Pentium 200 MMX installed on it that I just acquired.Information beyond some of the jumper settings [http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Supermi … 30HX_Jumper.htm[/url] is impossible to find for this board. Supermicro doesn't keep any documentation online or support boards more than a few years old (10 or so). I was wondering if anyone with experience with this board could help me with a few questions, or if anyone has the manual for it. I know this board supports MMX processors, but I'm not sure about the jumper settings for CPU Voltage. It came with the CPU voltage jumper set at 3.3 v. I don't know if that is correct and this board detects the MMX processor and supplies dual voltage when set at 3.3v or if I should change the jumper to 2.8v. Seems to run fine at 3.3v, although is sure gives off a lot of heat... which leads to my next question.

This board came with a very large aluminium heatsink on the CPU and no CPU fan, and the style of heatsink it came with cannot have a fan added to it. The board has no fan power header on it, although it does have a weird large power connector for an overheat backup cooling fan. Should I change the heatsink out for one with a fan? Besides the fact that is is better to have more cooling than not, is it required? I'm not going to assume that the board as received was set up correctly.

There are a bunch of other odd headers and jumper on the board that are not documented that would be interesting to find out about as well.

Reply 1 of 3, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MMX works at 2.8V. Unless it's an overdrive. But overdrive comes with fan on top of it. Unless the previous owner took off the factory heat sink and replaced it with another. Very unlikely.
It was quite common to not have pins for fans on motherboards at that time. Just replace the heatsink with a fan/heatsink assembly that takes power from 4pin molex outlet. The CPU and motherboard were probably part of a setup that had passive cooling.

Last edited by lazibayer on 2018-04-26, 18:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 3, by Fimbulvetr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just remembered the Wayback Machine and checked their 1997 snapshot for the Supermicro website, and lo-and-behold they have an FAQ for motherboard settings for MMX processors and the P5STE. The core voltage should be set at 2.8v (not 3.3v!) then just set the CPU speed the same as a non-MMX Pentium. There is no P5STE manual on the wayback machine, but all jumper settings are there.