VOGONS

First post, by jamesbeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a weird problem with a compact flash card.

I have one of those generic IDE adapters, and I got it working fine in my Dell Dimension 4100.

I unplugged the hard drive, plugged in the adapter/card combo, partitioned it with fdisk, formatted it, and copied the contents of the boot floppy to it.

I also copied Prince of Persia over for, you know, scientific testing purposes 😀

I ejected the floppy and rebooted, and everything went fine.
I played a couple of levels of Prince of Persia, then shut the machine down and removed the card.

I then set up my new Asus CUSI-FX motherboard that I bought for my Via C3 build, and it won't boot from the card.

It is recognized as a 32MB hard drive, but when it tries to boot from it, it gives a disk I/O error.

I can't understand why it would work in one machine but not another.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 9, by jamesbeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just bumping this - still having no luck.

The compact flash boots fine in two other machines, but gives an I/O error in the machine I actually want to use it on.

The same machine boots fine from a regular hard drive.

I have tried the CF card on both the primary and secondary IDE channel with the same result.

I know some CF cards don't play nice as hard drives, but in this case I know that this particular card works fine in at least two machines.

Are there any characteristics of CF cards that might make one compatible with only certain machines?

Reply 2 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm sorry, there's not enough information to help you.
The problem could be anything.. 🙁

What kind of mainboard is it ? The page I found has little information about it.
Also what kind of CF card is it (brand, type I/II, 3.v3v/5v, etc) ?

Best regards,
Jo22

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash#CF+ … ation_revisions

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 9, by jamesbeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's the motherboard manual:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rc … oPeLIZpCHuleBXE

The CF card is an RCA branded one, which means it could have been manufactured by pretty much anyone I guess.

I got it with a digital camera I bought on eBay about ten years ago.

It's 32MB and I don't know the voltage - I just left my adapter set at the default, which is 5v and it works fine in the two other machines I tried it on, so I left it like that.

The other jumper is for master/slave, which I left set to master.

Reply 4 of 9, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This might be stupid, i hade the same problem on one of my machines, but it seemd to be becouse of the cpu. i changed to another cpu and i worked fine, unsure if i have done wrong cpu config.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 8 of 9, by r.cade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always run into issues where the geometry is not detected the same across machines when I try to swap them. Agree- wipe the CF (completely) and fdisk/format/sys on the actual machine you are working with.

Occasionally they are stubborn and this won't produce working system either with some CF cards.

Reply 9 of 9, by jamesbeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the tips everyone - I'll try reformatting on the actual machine and report back.

If this works, I hope the card still works in the other machines.
I'm hoping to use this card as a way to transfer files from other machines.