VOGONS

Reply 40 of 63, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's some very good information in this thread, thanks Jamesbeat for starting the topic 😀

I mentioned previously that I'd also considered this - now I've bought a second Dell motherboard, but I don't have a second dell power supply.

The ATX connector fell off:

DellAL440LX- (3).jpg
Filename
DellAL440LX- (3).jpg
File size
721.4 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This required some careful desoldering with the solder sucker, it seems there's timing / technique involved in getting the grounds to clear out properly:

DellAL440LX- (1).jpg
Filename
DellAL440LX- (1).jpg
File size
543.92 KiB
Views
File license
20pin-atx-pcb-pinout.jpg
Filename
20pin-atx-pcb-pinout.jpg
File size
31.87 KiB
Views
File license

I checked the ATX pinout with the pins on the ISA connector, which has everything but 3.3v - these all matched up:

DellAL440LX- (4).jpg
Filename
DellAL440LX- (4).jpg
File size
533.91 KiB
Views
File license

So I soldered the connector in - note that the Dell ATX connector has pin 19 of the connector missing.
This is one of the 5v pins on the standard ATX connector, giving me only 3/4 of the 5v lines. I intend to rectify this later using a donor ATX connector, which is on its way from China right now:

DellAL440LX- (5).jpg
Filename
DellAL440LX- (5).jpg
File size
497.84 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 41 of 63, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the connector in place, it looks like a standard Intel AL440LX except for that extra connector:

DellAL440LX- (6).jpg
Filename
DellAL440LX- (6).jpg
File size
684.57 KiB
Views
File license

This also required soldering on the front panel connectors, because I don't have the custom Dell cable to spare for this board, getting the grounds cleared out on these was just as bad:

DellAL440LX- (7).jpg
Filename
DellAL440LX- (7).jpg
File size
334.46 KiB
Views
File license

Multimeter, big solder sucker & TS100 with big tip, all the tools required:

DellAL440LX- (8).jpg
Filename
DellAL440LX- (8).jpg
File size
430.67 KiB
Views
File license

And it boots, no fire 😁

DellAL440LX- (9).jpg
Filename
DellAL440LX- (9).jpg
File size
1.93 MiB
Views
File license

PS: Mods, if required I can move the images off to somewhere like Imgur.

Reply 42 of 63, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Impressive. Who knew that repositioning the PSU connector to a different spot was all it took to make those Dell motherboards work with ATX power supplies? 😮

Reply 44 of 63, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a one of a kind screen I made, the first thing I made long before I had a 3d printer to make things up in CAD. 😀 It uses some plastic right angle plastic that I cut & glued into a frame.
It's an N070ICG with a VGA/DVI/HDMI driver board, along with a USB power input to get 12v.

Reply 45 of 63, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go ahead and shift the connector over. This will work great if you don't want to wait for adapter cable.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 46 of 63, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If anybody needs a PSU from a XPS710 I am happy to send it to somebody. I am done with this shit motherboard and I just wanted the tower to pimp up a medion pentium d.

pc.png
archiveorg.png
https://archive.org/details/@robertkopp

Reply 47 of 63, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2018-08-18, 00:02:
With the connector in place, it looks like a standard Intel AL440LX except for that extra connector: DellAL440LX- (6).jpg […]
Show full quote

With the connector in place, it looks like a standard Intel AL440LX except for that extra connector:
DellAL440LX- (6).jpg

This also required soldering on the front panel connectors, because I don't have the custom Dell cable to spare for this board, getting the grounds cleared out on these was just as bad:
DellAL440LX- (7).jpg

DellAL440LX- (8).jpg

And it boots, no fire 😁

DellAL440LX- (9).jpg

Hey mate. Hope you dont mind me replying to such an old post.
I am trying to restore a Dell Dimension XPS R450 with a blown PSU. Going to look to move the 20 pin connector along like you did and use a regular PSU.

Did you need to do anything with the auxillary power connector or was the board fine without it?

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 48 of 63, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LewisRaz wrote on 2022-11-11, 22:57:
Hey mate. Hope you dont mind me replying to such an old post. I am trying to restore a Dell Dimension XPS R450 with a blown PSU […]
Show full quote
With the connector in place, it looks like a standard Intel AL440LX except for that extra connector: DellAL440LX- (6).jpg […]
Show full quote

DellAL440LX- (6).jpg

DellAL440LX- (7).jpg

DellAL440LX- (8).jpg

And it boots, no fire 😁

DellAL440LX- (9).jpg

I am trying to restore a Dell Dimension XPS R450 with a blown PSU. Going to look to move the 20 pin connector along like you did and use a regular PSU.

Did you need to do anything with the auxillary power connector or was the board fine without it?

Not OP, but I know the answer.

You can ignore the aux power connector. In Dell machines its there to supply 12V and other voltages that are 3.3 V which is not accessible through the main power connector. If you move over the connector to have a standard ATX pinout, you'll get 12V 3.3 V from the power connector directly.

I'd desolder it while I'm moving the other one.

Be sure to resolder the ATX connector in the correct position (lock facing the same way it was facing initially, just slide it)

Good luck.

EDIT: sorry for brainfart. In Dell machines the aux connector is 3 pins ground and 3 pins for 3.3 V. My recommendation is still the same: I'd remove the connector. If you leave it there and you later get a PSU with an AT style AUX cable and plug it in, you might damage your equipment since the AUX connector from PSUs supplies 5 V and 3.3 V.

Last edited by slivercr on 2022-11-12, 03:45. Edited 2 times in total.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 49 of 63, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
slivercr wrote on 2022-11-11, 23:23:
Not OP, but I know the answer. […]
Show full quote
LewisRaz wrote on 2022-11-11, 22:57:
Hey mate. Hope you dont mind me replying to such an old post. I am trying to restore a Dell Dimension XPS R450 with a blown PSU […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

DellAL440LX- (6).jpg

DellAL440LX- (7).jpg

DellAL440LX- (8).jpg

And it boots, no fire 😁

DellAL440LX- (9).jpg

Not OP, but I know the answer.

You can ignore the aux power connector. In Dell machines its there to supply 12V and other voltages that are not accessible through the main power connector. If you move over the connector to have a standard ATX pinout, you'll get 12V from the power connector directly.

I'd desolder it while I'm moving the other one.

Be sure to resolder the ATX connector in the correct position (lock facing the same way it was facing initially, just slide it)

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Looking forward to getting it running. It is totally stock with V550 16mb and an aureal vortex 2 from turtle beach.

Soldering besides it seems a fairly easy modification too so that is ideal.

Twitter

Reply 50 of 63, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Correction to my post above: in Dell machines the aux connector is 3 pins for ground and 3 pins for 3.3 V.

My recommendation is still the same: remove the connector.

If you leave it there and you later get a PSU with an AT style AUX cable and plug it in, you might damage your equipment since the AUX connector from PSUs supplies 5 V and 3.3 V.

Apologies for brainfart.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 51 of 63, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
slivercr wrote on 2022-11-12, 03:44:
Correction to my post above: in Dell machines the aux connector is 3 pins for ground and 3 pins for 3.3 V. […]
Show full quote

Correction to my post above: in Dell machines the aux connector is 3 pins for ground and 3 pins for 3.3 V.

If you leave it there and you later get a PSU with an AT style AUX cable and plug it in, you might damage your equipment since the AUX connector from PSUs supplies 5 V and 3.3 V.

Apologies for brainfart.

thanks again. I plan to print a warning to place inside the machine to note the modification should the machine ever leave my hands 😀

Twitter

Reply 52 of 63, by middle_pickup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LewisRaz wrote on 2022-11-12, 10:34:
Correction to my post above: in Dell machines the aux connector is 3 pins for ground and 3 pins for 3.3 V. […]
Show full quote

Apologies for brainfart.

thanks again. I plan to print a warning to place inside the machine to note the modification should the machine ever leave my hands 😀

I'm working on my XPS T500. I'm confident in my soldering skills enough to mod my motherboard, but I'm not clear on the ATX wiring. Is my motherboard a candidate for this mod to use standard ATX power supplies?

Amateur computer nerd. Please send help.

Reply 53 of 63, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
middle_pickup wrote on 2022-11-14, 20:26:
LewisRaz wrote on 2022-11-12, 10:34:
Show full quote

Apologies for brainfart.

I'm working on my XPS T500. I'm confident in my soldering skills enough to mod my motherboard, but I'm not clear on the ATX wiring. Is my motherboard a candidate for this mod to use standard ATX power supplies?

If it has those unpopulated pads next to it seems like it can be modded!

Twitter

Reply 54 of 63, by k24a1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't wanna necro a thread, but I feel like this is a rather important discovery. I'm not a fan of sketchy PSU adapters, and I own a Dimension 4100 that didn't have its power supply... so I took matters into my own hands. I managed to get the system to boot without an issue!

Attached is an image I made with some information on the matter and also a couple of system photos. Not sure if the PSU cooling is all too adequate but it's what I've got on hand and I shouldn't worry too much considering this is a Pentium III... I'll add more to the system soon but I really wanted to try this. Also no (working) 2400s were harmed, I just had a scrap motherboard. :^)

IMG_8441.jpg
Filename
IMG_8441.jpg
File size
938.13 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_8442.jpg
Filename
IMG_8442.jpg
File size
1017.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
p10_bypass.png
Filename
p10_bypass.png
File size
280.89 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 55 of 63, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome to the forum 😀 That's great it's worked for your Dell as well and brought it back to working. Thanks for creating the graphic that neatly summarises what to alter too.

Since posting about the AL440LX, I've done this on other Dell branded Intel boards like an SE440BX2 which I think is from an XPS T500 - as far as I'm aware this mod is applicable for every Intel-designed Dell-branded motherboard with the 6x unpopulated holes to the side of the Dell-specific ATX connector.

Some of the earlier Dell ATX motherboards didn't have the extra holes so are fully custom, in which case the mod won't work. Early ATX stuff is a mess, Compaq made their own customisations, Dell decided that computers needed much more 3.3v & 5v power. I do wonder if it was just luck that the ATX connector was just shifted across like this, or intentional for vendor lock-in.

Reply 56 of 63, by rare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys - I have a 4100 but not sufficiently tooled up or able to swap the ATX connector on the board.

Would it not be possible to use a 20 to 20 pin extension cable between a new PSU modified to resemble the correct pin out instead? Would this work? I’ve done this on some old Mac’s of mine in the past. Appreciate anyone’s thoughts.

Reply 59 of 63, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-09-19, 21:31:

I believe there are adapter cables already available on eBay, specifically for adapting with these Dell connectors.

http://athenapower.com/product/converteradapt … placement-cable

The Cable-DELL-X

Cant remember where I got mine. There are other threads on Vogons about it like Converting ATX Power Supply to DELL w/ Adapter (Safety Check!)