VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I'm aware the board has a 64mb ram limit with the original K6-2 380 installed, I tried a K6-III+ and it just ran really strange, and still didn't cache above 64mb, and ran slower than the K6-2 did. So my question is simple, I know the K6-2 works but I prefer 128mb of ram, and I know the K6-III+ doesn't work right, what about a K6-III anyone have any experince before i just go buy a K6-III

Reply 2 of 6, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On some Socket 7 systems, you have to disable the motherboard L2 cache in BIOS, to get the on-chip cache to cover the whole range of installed memory. I had to do that with a 430TX motherboard that had a K6-2+.
Try again with your K6-III+, this time disabling L2 cache in BIOS.

The loss of slow, limited motherboard cache is not too significant with a K6-2+ or III/+, as their caches, while somewhat smaller, are way flipping faster.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 4 of 6, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

another idea occured to me, I could replace the K6-2 with my Pentium Classic 166, and make it a DOS/Windows 3.1 box, though its a PCI only motherboard so sound would be an issue. It has onboard SOLO-1 and I have a few PCI cards, but not sure about sound in pure dos

Reply 5 of 6, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If memory serves there was a DOS utility called CTU that could also enable the L2 cache on a K6-II+/III/etc. Perhaps you could leave the L2 disabled in BIOS and try that utility out? https://www.philscomputerlab.com/uploads/3/7/ … 7231621/ctu.zip

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 6 of 6, by kolmio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need BIOS image for this board to use with a programmer device. There are two versions of BIOS on https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/8972#downloads, but they are incorporated into exe files of BIOS update utility.

Can someone advice on extraction of BIOS image from it, or maybe someone have it and can share?

Windows 95 | Chaintech 486SPM M102.A | AMD-X5-133ADW or Am486DX4-100 | 48MB SIMM FPM | ATI Rage 3D II+DVD | CT4100 | 8GB CF

Windows 98 | Acorp 6BX86 | Pentium II 450 | Matrox Millennium G450 | SoundForte SF16-FMI-03 | 32 GB MicroSD