VOGONS

First post, by Sugoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I found an IBM ValuePoint 100DX4/Tp in the trash, now I'm trying to fix it up. Among other things I want to replace the CMOS battery, but on this
board it is held in place by a piece of metal, a sort of clip or something. See it on this board for example:

https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/IBM-486-Performa … 3-/282682709726

How do I replace this battery?

Reply 1 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's the same system as any modern motherboard (if the link/pic is correct. Just lift up one side of the battery far enough to get it over the plastic, then slide it out horizontally.

Reply 2 of 3, by Sugoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:

That's the same system as any modern motherboard (if the link/pic is correct. Just lift up one side of the battery far enough to get it over the plastic, then slide it out horizontally.

Well I'll try it again but I'm a bit afraid I'll break it. Also, all of the motherboards I've replaced the CR2032 on before did not have that metal thing holding it in place...

Reply 3 of 3, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is just the older way of holding the battery in place. It tends to deform, you can bend it back. If you don't stress it too hard it will not break.
Nowadays it's a metal piece with 2 teeth on one side that you can move and a corresponding plastic piece on the other end.