VOGONS

First post, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Folks,

I wonder if you have any advice for me. I've got an IBM 5160 board (the 64-256KB variant). After replacing one tantalum cap that was shorting 5V, the thing finally gets to POST. However, it always stops after testing first 64KB RAM.

I've tried various configurations of the SW1.3 and .4 switch. I've replaced memory in second bank with "new" chips. I've tried the "Turbo XT 3.1" BIOS. I've replaced the AMD 8088 with V20.
I've tried the XT diag ROM as well, and there are no memory errors reported, but I don't have any compatible graphics (compatible to the diag ROM) so I don't know how much memory is tested.

I've ran out of ideas. The only other thing I'll try tomorrow is actually attaching a floppy disk controller and drive and see if that thing gets past the memory test, but at the moment it looks to me like it's stuck in the memory test somehow.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 8, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have waited long enough. However, there's another thing I've tried.
Despite the fact this is "64-256KB SYSTEM BOARD", the board came with 640KB populated, but without CPU. I assumed someone just found a board with empty memory sockets and stuffed some random memory into it but didn't have CPU. As such, I have removed the 256Kx1 chips and placed 64Kx1 chips into banks 0 and 1, and this leads to the memory test stuck at 64KB.
I've fitted the bank 0 with 256Kx1 chips and now the POST continues!

I'm puzzled - it looks like the board was modded for 640KB somehow, although I see no wires. The only suspicious thing is two socketed DIL16 chips (U44, U84) with paper sticker on them, saying "1" and "2". According to schematics, U84 is a multiplex for RAM address line MA8 and U44 has something to do with RAM address selection. My assumption is that although this board is marked 64-256, the only difference to 256-640 board is those two chips.

In fact, the whole design might even support UMB 😀 I need to do some research on that. After all, I like this board more and more.

Last edited by Kubik on 2018-05-08, 10:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm glad you made some progress here!! 😀 640 KB wasn't the absolute limit, actually, by the way.
There used to be hardware mods for the PC/XT to overcome that limit (by modifing U44).
PC/XT boards can address up to ~900KB of main memory if there's nothing in "the way".
Id largely depends on which graphics hardware and Option ROMs are in the adapter's segment.
With CGA and/or Hercules, you can have 704KB without compatibility issues.
Roughly 736KB are possible with a CGA card in the system.

Re: ISA RAM card, my easter project
Re: Is it possible to go over the 640KB barrier on an 8088 using some software ?

Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.
Re: PCEm. Another PC emulator.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 8, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, I found some info on that U44 as well, and I will continue research as time permits.

In fact, I will be using VGA, thus the amount of UMB will be severely limited, and conventional will be limited to 640KB. On the other hand, I hope to be able to squeeze all the important ROMs into free space in BASIC ROM so at least C800-EFFF should be free for UMB.

Reply 5 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's cool, good luck! If you can, tell us about your results.
Spekaing of UMBs, there where some useful programs at vcfed.org.
They allowed to use that memory on PC/XTs running DOS 3.x or higher.
In the past, QRAM and other tools allowed the uploading of the DOS kernal, too.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 8, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, packing all the BIOSes into F segment was dead simple - I just had to reconfigure the XT IDE BIOS to support regular 16bit IO card in 8bit mode, and then rebuild the whole "Super XT BIOS". I can see both option ROMs (floppy and XT IDE) starting, and I am booting off the CF card.

However, I'm having problems with keyboard, so next side project will be AT/XT keyboard interface 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As per my suggestion, Plasma made it possible for the Super XT BIOS to look for option ROMs up to FE00 segment. The reason for my request is that many of XT clone boards have a single or several empty sockets for ROM CASSETE BASIC. This way it becomes easy to use the empty socket for option ROMS.

Maybe if you don't care about cassete BASIC you could do this but it seems you have everything sorted by now.

Reply 8 of 8, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, the BIOS itself is 8KB, Basic is 32KB so there's still 24KB free in F segment. Both XT-IDE and Sergej's floppy ROMs have 8KB, which means I still have another 8KB free. LAN boot? 😀

And yeah, scanning up to FE00 was a great idea!