VOGONS

ATX2AT Smart Converter - Live on Kickstarter!

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
root42 wrote:

Any news on the progress of manufacturing here? I want to put my 286 in a case now, and would love to have this converter in there as well. 😀

PCB v1.1 is ready and will be send to PCB house next week. Changes are : added header for an external button, added a feature to allow the converter to simulate an odd signal (useful for Amiga), mechanical layout modification. Final PCB color will be black (still 2 oz for better current handling). But I'm still looking for a fab house to assemble the custom cable. Any idea welcome. 😉

.legaCy wrote:

IDK if it is open source yet, but when it became available, please share the code and the gerber file for the board.

Sure, that's planned.

ATX2AT Smart Converter - Universal Chip Analyzer - CPU-Z Validator - Engineering Sample Zone

Reply 22 of 124, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What‘s the spec of the custom cable?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 23 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nothing fancy.

The process to build the cable is :
- Cut the ATX connector on a standard passive ATX2AT cable ($2 in bulk)
- Strip all the 14 AWG18 wires
- Crimp new standard Mini Fit Jr Female Connector on each of them (Molex PN 39-00-0039)
- Put them on a standard Mini Fit Jr 14-pin Connector (Molex PN 39-01-2140 - $0.5)

Much faster than to assemble both ends of the cable.

ATX2AT Smart Converter - Universal Chip Analyzer - CPU-Z Validator - Engineering Sample Zone

Reply 25 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I already have 20+ guys on the list. I'm not doing that for profit, so it will be sold at cost, but I also don't want to spend days assembling cables and soldering stuffs. I must find a way to have them assembled professionally if the list grows over 30 or 40.

Reply 26 of 124, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Where is this list?
Still want to build one and I can solder it myself if that helps you offload some work. I could even build some units for EU people if that helps.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 28 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For vogons and cpu-world, just post your interest in the thread and I'll contact you by PM as soon as possible.

If you want a bare PCB, a kit or a fully-assembled PCB and/or cable, it's possible.

Reply 30 of 124, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xsecret wrote:

Yes, I already have 20+ guys on the list. I'm not doing that for profit, so it will be sold at cost, but I also don't want to spend days assembling cables and soldering stuffs. I must find a way to have them assembled professionally if the list grows over 30 or 40.

Bigclive just presented a wire stripping machine:

https://youtu.be/UxAARAqAjrk

Not sure if that would help you, but you might to get your hands on one of those, via ebay or borrowing it...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 31 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The most time-consuming part is crimping the damn connectors. I only have a manual hand crimp tool 😒

Reply 34 of 124, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xsecret wrote:

The most time-consuming part is crimping the damn connectors. I only have a manual hand crimp tool 😒

I have no idea if there are affordable automated/powered crimp tools...

Would be useful.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 35 of 124, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another month has passed -- any update? I am also willing to crimp my own cable, if you supply the parts. 😀 I think we have a few manual crimping tools at work.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 37 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

Here is a copy of the email I sent some hours ago :

Thank you for expressing your interest in the ATX2AT Smart Converter!

After some major changes in my personal life in 2019, I've resumed the work on my projects to bring them to fruition. The ATX2AT Smart Converter is the first one to reach the production stage, and I've decided to go on Kickstarter to try the whole process as a creator. I'm a "Super Backer" there with 140+ projects backed, so I had some experience with the platform.

I would like to tell you that the Kickstarter Campaign will start tomorrow, Monday 25th November, at 18:00 UTC (19:00 CET / 10:00 PST / 13:00 EST).

Project link : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doctb/at … -retro-hardware

Project description : https://x86.fr/atx2at-smart-converter/

The price for a complete ATX2AT Kit (w/ OLED display & cable) is set at 29€ for Super Early Bird (first 10 backers), then 35€ for Early Bird (next 25 backers), then 39€ (KS Special).

Be sure to be on the first ones to grab one at the lowest cost!

The project page has been updated with the latest features:

1. Firmware now upgradable w/ USB
2. More configurations options
3. Tested with non-PC platform
4. Mounting Holes
5. External Power Switch header
6. Better accuracy

Feel free to reply here if you have any question. 😀

Last edited by xsecret on 2019-11-25, 01:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 38 of 124, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ConiKost wrote:

News 😀 Starts tomorrow on Kickstarter, Monday 25th October

but it's November? 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto