VOGONS

Why are 3Com NICs in such high regard?

Topic actions

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a few of them but today I realized I never used any of them in my builds. PCs ranging from Pentium MMX to K6-2s and Pentium II/IIIs I have are all equipped with Realtek, Broadcom, Intel and in one case even a TP-Link NIC and they all work fine in Windows 9x.. What is it that makes 3Com adapters so much better than the others? Should I replace mine with them, because I can still get quite a few of them for quite cheap.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-02-14, 17:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 93, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3Com cards are active ones (with own CPU, RAM; doing protocoll handling etc.) while most other cards are passive, meaning that the CPU must do most of the work. Active cards are better especially for slower PCs.

Last edited by derSammler on 2018-05-10, 08:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 93, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And if you go back to ISA era their significance is even bigger, they were "the serious stuff". Options were limited, 3Coms were reliable and flooding the market, drivers for every OS are now everywhere.

Reply 3 of 93, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

3Com cards are active ones (with CPU, RAM; doing protocoll handling etc.) while most other cards are passive, meaning that the CPU must do most of the work. Active cards are better especially for slower PCs.

At what processor speeds does the difference become negligible? Am I better off replacing my PII and below PCs, for example, with 3Com NICs?

Reply 4 of 93, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well in fast Pentiums and any Pentum 2/3 the advatage is neglible in 100MB/s mode.

But anything older, it really maters.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 6 of 93, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
derSammler wrote:

3Com cards are active ones (with CPU, RAM; doing protocoll handling etc.) while most other cards are passive, meaning that the CPU must do most of the work. Active cards are better especially for slower PCs.

At what processor speeds does the difference become negligible? Am I better off replacing my PII and below PCs, for example, with 3Com NICs?

I wouldn't bother. How much, and how often do you need a network connection with your already set up and running retro rigs? It would probably be marginal speed increase anyway.

I like 3coms, and all my retro rigs have one (except two XP builds with onboard NICs) since

- I know them as very reliable and hasslefree products when I was really using them back in the day
- They are (were?) available by truck loads and very cheap (both in ebay and local market)
- Driver support is easily available for all relevant OSes

Furthermore, I like their combo versions (509B and 905B) just for their looks. I love those BNC connectors(*), I believe every retro rig need to have one 🤣

(*) Nostalgia again, our first LAN setup was based upon 8 bit ISA cards and 10base2 cabling (BNC connectors, coaxial cables, terminators...), just to play Doom II (Doom I could be played with null modem cable by two people). We were doing LAN parties with four mates as early as 1994 🤣

Last edited by tayyare on 2018-05-10, 09:05. Edited 2 times in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7 of 93, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, to be honest I use the NICs pretty much only at the initial setup phase of my retro gaming, I tend to set up the computer and install the network adapters, I then bulk-download Win9x support files (drivers, patches etc.) and the ISO images of the games for that period from my NAS setup. After that, the NIC is almost never used aside from uploading screenshots and diagnostic information etc.. So I guess I will just leave them alone unless one day I have too much time and too little to do in my hands (yeah right)

Reply 8 of 93, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
derSammler wrote:

You can tell when the difference became irrelevant by the decline and eventual takeover of 3Com 😜

For a 486, the difference between a basic NE2000 (i.e. RTL8009/8019) and 3Com was huge. For a P2 it would be noticeable. In later P3s it was measurable in online games, but only relevant if the CPU was really being maxed and every FLOP mattered. By the time of the AthlonXP and P4 it was only relevant if you were maxing your NIC at the same time as well (those were the days before Netflix...).

3Com was by no means the only active card vendor. But they had the best driver support, at least under old OSs, and - just as importantly - the premium you paid for all that was relatively modest: more than the low-end dumb controllers, but far less than 'enterprise grade' (eg. Intel) stuff.

Bottom line now:
- the cards are easy to find
- the drivers are easy to find
- they're easy to get running
- performance is good

Although I frequently grumble at 3Com fetishism, when it comes to 16b ISA I still have not seen a card that in is in any way superior to the 3C509B.

The same does not apply to 8b ISA - the 3C501 was famously brain-dead and the 3C503 was better only in that it actually worked. PCI 3Com cards were good, but far less compelling than at 16b ISA - also because Intel & AMD had serious alternatives for acceptable prices.

Reply 9 of 93, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another advantage is that the 3c509b has its drivers directly in windows 3.11 and 95 and the 3c905b has drivers provided with windows 98SE which means all you need is your original disks to setup the computer and once that's done, no need to grab a floppy disk/burn a CD to set it up. That also means that you can go directly to grab the drivers for the rest of your config again without 'needing additionnal disks. (Except for 3.11 where you'll probably need the tcp ip stack)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 10 of 93, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For ISA I found that generic NE2000s were hit and miss. Sometimes they worked. Sometimes they're wouldn't be detected. Sometimes they would show up in device manager as okay, but wouldn't connect to the switch. The 3com cards always worked for me.
By the time I was using PCI I wasn't finding as many 3com cards around. DEC and later Intel cards became more common. I never really preferred one brand over another or did any comparisions. Anything I didn't have find drivers for that worked was good enough - DEC, Intel or 3com in desktops. For laptops it was Xircom - drivers always there and no dongles to break or loose. I've got a whole box of them somewhere - used them in everything from 486 to Pentium 3 laptops.

Reply 11 of 93, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3Com was a standard, and Intel was the only other 'prestige brand' that lasted from the early 90's into the 2000's. Since they all basically cost the same to get now, my preference is Intel stuff over anything else. Intel had solid automatic full-duplex support in the Pro/10+ ISA card, while it has to be forced on to be enabled with the 3C509x range.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 12 of 93, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finding drivers is definitely one of the big selling points,
But with HP takeover, this wont be the case for long and will have to rely on places like vogonsdrivers

Reply 13 of 93, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the 3Coms, because they work out-of-box with WfW 3.11..
It can even auto-detect them (among others), which I think is really is cool. ^^

Attachments

• 3com_wfw.gif
    Filename
    3com_wfw.gif
    File size
    18.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 93, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For ISA based stuff I always go with 3com cards, they have significantly better network performance than all the crappy NE2000 things. For PCI based machines I haven't seen a whole lot of performance difference with any type of card except 10/100 Realteks which aren't all that nice. I tend to use Intel cards with PCI things.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 16 of 93, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AMD based cards were also quite nice.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 17 of 93, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using a 3C509 of some variety in 6 of my retro builds, including 1 16-bit 3C509B in an 8-bit slot on my 8088 XT build with it's boot ROM enabled for XTIDE Universal BIOS. Relatively straightforward to configure the 3C509 for this purpose and so the card not only allows me to transfer files back and forth over the LAN, but also I can use XTIDE's virtual serial drive functionality to access virtual Floppy and/or Hard Disk images. No need for multiple floppy disks laying around, a great alternative to a Gotek Floppy Emulator. Great for booting PC Booter games too! 😎

I also have another 3C509-COMBO as a spare, which I have to get around to testing at some point as it's the 1 card that looks completely different to all of my other 3C509s (a more basic looking PCB, with less components).

For the PCI based builds that don't have onboard network, the most common and cheaply available PCI cards that fill my retro builds are the RealTek RTL8139 & Intel Pro/100. Of those, I prefer the RTL8139 for the same reason as the 3C509 in the ISA systems - driver support! I collected most of those PCI cards during the early 2000s and I don't recall 3Com PCI cards being very common at that time.

Reply 18 of 93, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote:

I'm using a 3C509 of some variety in 6 of my retro builds, including 1 16-bit 3C509B in an 8-bit slot on my 8088 XT build with it's boot ROM enabled for XTIDE Universal BIOS. Relatively straightforward to configure the 3C509 for this purpose and so the card not only allows me to transfer files back and forth over the LAN, but also I can use XTIDE's virtual serial drive functionality to access virtual Floppy and/or Hard Disk images. No need for multiple floppy disks laying around, a great alternative to a Gotek Floppy Emulator. Great for booting PC Booter games too! 😎

I also have another 3C509-COMBO as a spare, which I have to get around to testing at some point as it's the 1 card that looks completely different to all of my other 3C509s (a more basic looking PCB, with less components).

For the PCI based builds that don't have onboard network, the most common and cheaply available PCI cards that fill my retro builds are the RealTek RTL8139 & Intel Pro/100. Of those, I prefer the RTL8139 for the same reason as the 3C509 in the ISA systems - driver support! I collected most of those PCI cards during the early 2000s and I don't recall 3Com PCI cards being very common at that time.

They were common in late 1990s and early 2000s (before chipset integrated ethernet functionality started to shrink their business) as reliable and acceptable price, mainstream items. Not cheap and by the truck load electronic waste 🤣

My own personal 1997-2000 era NICs were also Realteks (because they were cheaper - I still have one in working condition 😊) but we were using 3Coms in all the companies that I worked for during that era.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 19 of 93, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PTherapist wrote:

I'm using a 3C509 of some variety in 6 of my retro builds, including 1 16-bit 3C509B in an 8-bit slot on my 8088 XT build with it's boot ROM enabled for XTIDE Universal BIOS. Relatively straightforward to configure the 3C509 for this purpose and so the card not only allows me to transfer files back and forth over the LAN...

I want to make sure this is correct: you're using a 16-bit 3C509B in an 8-bit XT slot, and it works fine? Does it auto-sense this, or is it done via a config program?

I have a couple 3C509B's (one -C, one -TP), and if they can be used in an XT 8-bit slot, that would be very cool...