VOGONS

First post, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got one MS-4144 rev. 2.1with amd 586 133
Sadly non working PCI slots
- Removed battarey and setted to fail-safe, original and otpimal option. Not working;
- ISAs video cards working in all slots;
- Tested with pci cards: s3 trio, virge, v64. All works ok in others systems.
Theres any especific setting in the bios/jumpers or just bad luck? 😢

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 1 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps try to test some sound cards of controllers in PCI?

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 11, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a enisoniq one. Would try later.
Also in the Bios has option for setting the IRQ on PCi slot.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.

Reply 3 of 11, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which BIOS are you using, AMI or AWARD? I use my board with the AWARD version of the BIOS, I think WF54S.BIN. I have a few moddified versions of the BIOS, 1) to add PS/2 mouse support, and 2) to add the enhancements from the 4DPS BIOS, but correct the PCI routing table back to the 4144. I haven't played with the AMI version of the BIOS, which I believe is AF54S.ROM

From my experience on a few PCI 486 motherboards, if the PCI routing table is incorrect, e.g. if using the wrong BIOS, the PCI cards don't work properly.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 4 of 11, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MIne is AMI ( the menu in win 3.1 style). The bios has a option to enable /disable mouse, pci IDE card and ajust of IRQ on pci slots (manual or auto).

Reply 6 of 11, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How should I upgrade to bios? Its not like the modern pcs.

Reply 7 of 11, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, did your board not come with a flashable BIOS chip? What's the part number under the sticker? Does it have a UV window?

Reply 8 of 11, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Oh, did your board not come with a flashable BIOS chip? What's the part number under the sticker? Does it have a UV window?

The Flashable chips are able to use a "executable", startating the bios update from disket or hd in DOS? The sticker has this number:AC8500775. Removed the sticker the number is: w29EE011-15 and 96021, Winbond brand without UV window.

Reply 9 of 11, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have an EEPROM, which is an electronically erasable programmable read only memory. This means you can easily update the BIOS, e.g. by using UNIFLASH at a dos prompt from a DOS-bootable diskette. Is this different from modern computers? My "modern" 2006-era Opteron has its BIOS updated the same way.

Reply 10 of 11, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need buy a goteck floppy emulator. I dont trust 100% my floopy drives and disks.
Thanks for the help Feipoa!

Reply 11 of 11, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

You have an EEPROM, which is an electronically erasable programmable read only memory. This means you can easily update the BIOS, e.g. by using UNIFLASH at a dos prompt from a DOS-bootable diskette. Is this different from modern computers? My "modern" 2006-era Opteron has its BIOS updated the same way.

Many modern computers use a Windows (ewwww!) executable (more ewwww!) to update the firmware. I'm still surprised we haven't seen the first BIOS virus mass outbreak yet...

(unless we count official microcode in various processors, such as Intel's Management Engine 🤣 )