VOGONS

First post, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few months ago now, I came across the not so rare (at least here in Italy) pile of old PCs and miscellaneous material, outside a school building, obviously waiting to be withdrawn and demolished. Luckily I had seen it before the retirement, so I went saving the salvable, including 2x M24-marked Olivetti desktops - not the classic, famous model, but the more modern 'remake' based on Pentium 133.

IMG_5518.jpg

Waiting for cleaning and restoration.

The two samples seem identical, apart from the presence of an CDROM in one of them, and different aesthetic and wear conditions. The side handles, those that allow you to open and slide the upper part of the case to open it, have proven to be very fragile and weakened by age: in one of the two models, they immediately shattered. The CDROM unit, for its part, did nothing more than enter and eject continuously, once the machine was powered. The hard disk of one of the two never worked during the tests, while the other one worked the first times and then lost data and no longer allow the correct start of Windows 95, installed inside it.

IMG_5524.jpg

Front of the machine #1, in good conditions after all.

IMG_5529.jpg

Upper pic of the CDROM.

IMG_5530.jpg

PSU unit.

IMG_5549.jpg

The motherboard, after a good cleaning. 8MB SIMM installed.

The VGA is integrated, by Trident, 2x empty memory socket to upgrade video RAM capacity. In the middle, the additional slots riser with 2x ISA and 2x PCI - the vicinity of them make me think that they can not be used at the same time, they probably have shared resources ISA1/PCI1 + ISA2/PCI2.

IMG_5536.jpg

AMI nice graphical and mouse-enabled BIOS.

IMG_5550.jpg

Testing IDE2CF and 2GB CF as hard disk: it works!

IMG_5554.jpg

After the POST.

One of the two machines in the riser had mounted an ISA network card, stored now in my warehouse. In the sample I chose to keep, I brought the total RAM to 32MB SIMM - now the intention is to mount a Matrox Mystique that I have in reserve, instead of the integrated Trident, and a beautiful Creative Soundblaster, maybe an AWE64 non-Gold also unused. Then I will proceed to the installation of MS-DOS 6.22, maybe together with Windows 3.11 (I saw some photos of Windows 3.11 the other day, and I got a lot of nostalgia - my main choice is still pure DOS). Does the choice of Mystique seem to you relevant enough? Just to not use the usual S3, I would also have a TSENG 4000 ISA, but maybe it is not relevant for this machine.

IMG_5557.jpg

SpeedSys in progress.

The two motherboards, apparently identical, are different for two small details. First of all the shape of the heatsink on the integrated next to the CPU socket, of different shape and size - another detail that differentiates the two machines is to be found in the RTC chip Dallas present in one of the two, while the other one has a normal button-battery connected to pins not present in the other specimen:

IMG_5542.jpg

Dallas RTC in machine #1.

IMG_5539.jpg

More common battery to save BIOS options in machine #2.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 1 of 4, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since the original (8086-based) M24 was our first computer at home when I was a kid, anything "M24" piques my interest. 😀

For a real nostalgia trip, maybe someone should try retrofitting a modern motherboard with an Intel Core i7-8086K ("8086 anniversary edition") CPU in that M24 P133 case, since the original M24 ran on the original Intel 8086. 🤣

Reply 2 of 4, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digger wrote:

Since the original (8086-based) M24 was our first computer at home when I was a kid, anything "M24" piques my interest. 😀

For a real nostalgia trip, maybe someone should try retrofitting a modern motherboard with an Intel Core i7-8086K ("8086 anniversary edition") CPU in that M24 P133 case, since the original M24 ran on the original Intel 8086. 🤣

It would be kinda strange... but also nice to see 🤣

Are you italian? If I can ask, of course - here the old M24s were a legend, really loved as machine.

Last edited by Kadath on 2018-09-13, 22:43. Edited 1 time in total.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 3 of 4, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I was born and raised in the Netherlands. But Olivetti computers were fairly popular computers here as well back in the late eighties and early nineties, particularly as office PCs in the banking sector. They were reliable, well-built and highly compatible with IBM PCs, yet considerably faster.

My Dad bought an M24 back in 1987 through a government tax incentive that made it possible for people to purchase computers through their employers using their gross income. It was meant to stimulate as many people as possible to enter the digital age so to speak. The M24 was the first computer in our home. I learned a lot from that thing. Our neighbour had also purchased an M24 through her employer. Both she and my Dad worked at a bank.

Also I remember my primary school receiving a number of M24s on loan or as a gift from a university. This must have been around 1990, by which time the M24 had become outdated. My guess is that the university must have upgraded to newer machines by that point, so it probably had no more use for them. Since our primary school only had 3 Commodore 64s when they received those hand-me-down M24s, it may have been a step up in many ways, except in the graphics and sound department. 🤣

The Olivetti M24 has a special place in my heart, although I came to despise the ugly 4-color CGA graphics that it was limited to in games. I've made it my mission to upgrade my Dad's M24 to EGA-compatible graphics, using the same original monitor. It's been kind of a holy grail for me, but I've figured out that it should be possible with the right video card (which I have), ROM BIOS v1.43 chips (which I also have) and a new enough board revision (P8 or R8 or something, if I recall correctly) that allows the on-board graphics to be disabled (which my Dad's M24 happens to have). Unfortunately, the computer stopped working a while back, some time shortly before I attempted to perform the upgrade. 🙁 After measuring the voltages it would appear that the cause is a faulty power supply. Possibly the capacitors in the PSU will have to be replaced to get it working again. I have some experience with soldering, but I've never replaced a capacitor before, let alone in a PSU. In the meantime, this special decades-long obsession is put on hold for the time being. 😉

By the way, in the mid 2000s, as pretty much everyone and their dog owned a computer, that tax incentive I mentioned earlier, known as "PC-Privé", was abruptly abolished by the Dutch government. Naturally, it caught many potential PC buyers by surprise and pissed a lot of people off. I remember working part-time in a computer store at the time, and people begging or demanding from us that we change the purchase dates in their invoices to an earlier date, so they could still retroactively make use of the incentive. Effectively, they were asking us to commit fraud for them. We refused, making a lot of customers angry. But hey, it was not our fault. We didn't screw them over, the government did. That didn't make our customers any less angry, though. I remember a lot of them being seriously pissed at the time. Personally, although I completely understand that the incentive was no longer necessary and was costing the government tax revenue, I believe they should instead have announced a sunset/phaseout period. Yes, there would have been a short spike in PC sales leading up to the abolition date, but that would have stimulated PC sales and thus the economy, plus it would have given people who were already considering making use of the incentive one last chance to do so. Oh well, one of the curious historic political computer-related events in my country... 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice save 😀
I would configure both exactly the same and play network games, only problem is I dont have anyone for the 2nd PC locally 🙁

I would install Windows 3.11 for workgroups, matches the bios screen.
I only ever load windows when I want to transfer some files over the network but just something about having something that old talking to my WinXP PC feels cool.