VOGONS

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I've been testing some VLB VGA cards and came around to SPEA V7-MIRAGE P-64. It only shows the video BIOS screen and when it should go to computer BIOS screen, the LCD goes "Out of range". Later I tried it on a CRT monitor and it goes from 640x400@70Hz to 640x400@78Hz. So it works on a CRT. But it seems weird to me.

Did someone change VGA BIOS settings or has, like ATI Mach64, an EEPROM and you can configure the refresh rates with some util? I've read some SPEA readme's and there is an util SPTUNE that sets up a monitor type and refresh rates. I haven't got around testing it yet.

Would like to hear some experiences...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 1 of 2, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did a few more tests...

SPTUNE will let you choose a monitor type and even do some tweaking (screen position/size) but it won't let you choose resolution and vertical frequency.

This is a screenshot of this weird resolution and frequency:

35.2kHz at 78Hz

tg9uBFRl.jpg

It gets out of range on LCD monitors - tested a few. Even one 15" that takes 1024x768 @ 76Hz - might be common but I never tested LCDs over 60Hz before.

Next thing I'm about to do is swap the BIOS from another S3 864 card.

Reply 2 of 2, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't have another Spea Mirage P-64 card... are other VLB S3 864 BIOS's compatible? I have one from Miro. Miro has S3 ramdac instead of AT&T and about half the components on the board. Not sure if I want to try my luck?! At least it works fine with CRTs.

Google also found the same problem posted on Vogons before:
78Hz on S3 Vision864 in DOS is too much for TFT

Tried everything mentioned and no go.