VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everybody!
Getting old made me become a fan of the the nineties, so I went to my garage and I found 3 old pc (an asus p5a with a k6 300 mhz) that somewhat works, a intel labelled vx mb (damn I hated VX at the time, it was bad in both simm and sd ram too) with a p166 that works like a charm (64mb edo ram!) and sadly an Aopen ap5t-e with a pentium mmx 166 mhz that I have been unable to make work (it's a TX mb with the old AT standard).
Today I received an Epox mvp3e with another k6 300.
The question is, once the tx mb was my pupil for old game, 64mb sdram, virge Gx, audio card and a nice maxtor with 20gb full of games, sadly today there wasn't a way to make it work, black screen, no sound from the speaker, nothing.
So I took the chance to keep the cables, processor, ram etc. The case is very small, but I wanted to keep the psu, never know, it could be usefull if I will ever find a good HX at MB, sadly I noticed that there are some cables going from the psu to the case, to be precise to the power on button, is there a way to keep the psu without having to keep the case?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Nemo1985 on 2018-05-16, 05:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The switch is only attached to the case with screws. Just remove it and keep it attached to the PSU

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even the switch could be replaced if necessary, but you need a latching double pole switch or relay rated for your local line voltage.

Also, P2B is slot 1. You've got a different board with the first K6.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 4, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thank you both for your answers, you are right, mine is an asus p5a.
Just an update, I tried to start from scratch, once I have been able to get many short beep when I tried to start the pc. I suppose it was complaining for the lack of video card, maybe I will be able to get it back to life, otherwise ill stick with the original plan.

It may be a bit off topic but... Now the mb gives one long beep an three short beeps, it could be a video card problem but I tried different pci cards and still nothing... I really can't get what's wrong with this mb...
I tried the sd ram on a working computer and... it seems a ram problem, ill do some further test...

Reply 4 of 4, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So here I am, the ram is definitely dead, now the problem is about the mb... I did some other test with the working pc and the beep errors coming from aopen mb are for not connected VGA card, I tried different vga that are working on the others pc.

Also I received a k6-2 processor but it seems that they used glue to keep the heatsink on it, I have been able to detach it but the processor is dirty, I tried to use the Isopropyl alcohol but without results.
https://imgur.com/a/daBpQ8Y