VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
In Finland(=North Europe) I store all my card box packed PCs and consoles in a barn and have had good results. 😊
We have temperature fluctuations of -25->+20*C.
No rust.

3/12 months +0-+20*C (summer)
9/12 months -25-+5*C (winter)

Any similar experiences with storing PCs outside ?

Reply 3 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As long as there's no moisture inside the components there shouldn't be problems. E-caps will sustain capacitance loss in very cold temperatures though, they shouldn't go below freezing a whole lot.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where I am from it is easy to expect things to roast in 40-50c heat during the summer, I am really tired of six months of summer every year. 😵

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 8, by Flakchak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where in Finland are you located? I live in Western NY where we have a humid continental climate which is similar to the very southern tip of Finland. Once you start going north you run into a subarctic climate.

With that being said, I stored a number of computer components in my parents barn for a few years. While the items were safe from wind and precipitation, they were not safe from temperature. Almost all hard drives I had are now dead. Surprisingly, most if not all 3.5 and 5.25 floppy disks still work, go figure. I did not store any monitors, but I did store motherboards, floppy drives, cables, cases, joysticks, i/o cards, and so far they're working fine after taking them all out of storage after a number of years.

Keep hard drives inside. If I had to do it again, I'd find a climate controlled storage locker.

Hope this helps.

Searching for a Packard Bell 15" CRT Monitor - 1511SL or 1512SL

Reply 8 of 8, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I store hard drives, floppy's ect inside, cases, boards ect i store outside in the outside closet in a large rubbermaid tub, and this is here in Texas, no rust but that's likely because when its hot it's also rather dry 🤣.