VOGONS

How to use wireless USB mouse in DOS?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems my PS/2 to USB Mouse/Keyboard converter doesn't like wireless mice. (Should have read the manufacturer's FAQ before buying)

So I'm going to need a USB driver before I install Cutemouse.

My motherboard (Asus P5S-B) has USB 1.x, but doesn't use an Intel or VIA chip supported by Bret Johnson's USBDOS program.

Anybody know another driver that works with USB mice?

Reply 1 of 6, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

USB mouse drivers in DOS is practically a no go, don't even think about it. I have not much idea though, what will be the attitude of a USB mouse under DOS if legacy mouse support is enabled in BIOS, I never tried that. You can use USB mouses with PS/2 adapters only if that USB mouse has also PS/2 support. Contemporary mice (including a very big portion of wireless variety) does not have that.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 6, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tayyare wrote:

You can use USB mouses with PS/2 adapters only if that USB mouse has also PS/2 support. Contemporary mice (including a very big portion of wireless variety) does not have that.

I bought an active converter that does keyboard and mouse. It works great for my USB keyboard, but the mouse pointer only moves up and down when I move it side-to-side.

I'm REALLY hoping there's a solution for this that doesn't involve using a wired mouse, otherwise I might as well use DOSBOX and all the old hardware I bought has been for nothing.

Reply 3 of 6, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Flare wrote:
tayyare wrote:

You can use USB mouses with PS/2 adapters only if that USB mouse has also PS/2 support. Contemporary mice (including a very big portion of wireless variety) does not have that.

I bought an active converter that does keyboard and mouse. It works great for my USB keyboard, but the mouse pointer only moves up and down when I move it side-to-side.

I'm REALLY hoping there's a solution for this that doesn't involve using a wired mouse, otherwise I might as well use DOSBOX and all the old hardware I bought has been for nothing.

Active converter is of course a complete different animal. But again, in my experience they don't always work, and they don't work as they supposed to be. I had an active converter for PS'2 to serial conversion, but the delay was so big, it was completely useless for anything but most rudimentary mouse "action".

I suggest you search for PS/2 compatible wireless mice. I believe there are some.

By the way, just out of curiosity, why wired mice is so unacceptable??

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 4 of 6, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tayyare wrote:

Because I've been using a Logitech M570 trackball for so long that I've become accustomed to never having to reposition my hand while holding it.

Reply 5 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Flare wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Because I've been using a Logitech M570 trackball for so long that I've become accustomed to never having to reposition my hand while holding it.

So use a wired trackball?

I use a mix of Logitech and Microsoft (yes, the Trackball Explorer) for most of my systems and can fully appreciate why you don't want to mess around with moving mice, but don't see the problem with wires - particularly as you don't need to move the things around, which removes a lot of the drawbacks of a wire...