PC tower cases by year

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 223, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Corvair wrote on 2021-02-28, 05:40:

Hi! Late nineties Denco AT/ATX decktop case with funny huge Reset and Sleep buttons. This Denco is the only knowh for me PC case with Reset button larger than Power. Please define the exact model of this case, the desigh is relative to more known and probably later released Denco D708/709

Interesting.... This type of design occured also in the line-up of an english firm by the name Ever/Evercase.

fronta.jpg
Filename
fronta.jpg
File size
28.33 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 103 of 223, by sneeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This posted earlier is a midi version of my first pc, but it was a mini tower. I never saw another on here in the uk, but I remember it said m-ibm on the case badge and came with a 386 sx40 around christmas 93, even had the fake floppy drive to fill the 3.5" bay.

E13D252D-BC63-43AC-AFDC-410667135CBB.jpeg

Would love to find that midi tower version or a full tower here in the uk.

Reply 104 of 223, by kvanderlaag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
radivx wrote on 2019-04-21, 12:39:
https://i.imgur.com/rJ1Rggxm.jpg […]
Show full quote

rJ1Rggxm.jpg

This is the one from my childhood.
A good condition one is really wanted 😀

If anyone was still wondering (since everyone seems to have had one as a child), this is the Macase KS-330, from Macase's "Diamond" series. They were available as Desktop, minitower, mid-tower, and full-tower versions. (The Desktop is the KS-730; Minitower is the KS-330; Mid-tower is the KS-230; and the full-tower is the KS-130.)

They were also available in black, though black ones are much less common these days. You can actually see one in a 1994 (or maybe it was 1995) episode of the Computer Chronicles in one of the demo segments; apologies, but I just watched through both years and I forget which one it was. They're quite handsome.

Attachments

Reply 105 of 223, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In early '94 I picked up one very similar to the mini in those, I got it at a computer fair in UK as a one left closeout deal, so I suspect they'd been around in '93 at least. Mine had a difference though, either side of the black panel, I don't remember such a kink in the lines. Either it looks more severe in the lighting of the photos, or mine didn't have it. Also didn't come with the podium kinda thing, just rubber feet.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 106 of 223, by Martijn1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
arncht wrote on 2019-05-03, 11:33:

i have two empty cases - they are very nice, but i dont know the exact year. somebody? what I know:

Yeong Yang - 1999/2000? it comes with a bx6

20180825_171853.jpg

I've had the same case in a Desktop version in 1996. Here in The Netherlands it was sold under the brandname "Curbs".
007.jpg

Currently I'm rebuilding my 1996 PII, 266Mhz PC. And I'm looking for the Big Tower on the far left of the above picture.
As I recall this was also a Curbs casing. But any info is more than welcome.
It was an ATX, six 5.25", two 3.5" with a lockable door.

regards,
Martijn.

Main PC : ASUS ROG Strix G15CK.
Rebuild : P2-266Mhz 1998.
(Sorry for the typo's and grammar, English is not my first language)

Reply 107 of 223, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Martijn1974 wrote on 2021-08-15, 07:53:
I've had the same case in a Desktop version in 1996. Here in The Netherlands it was sold under the brandname "Curbs". https://p […]
Show full quote
arncht wrote on 2019-05-03, 11:33:

i have two empty cases - they are very nice, but i dont know the exact year. somebody? what I know:

Yeong Yang - 1999/2000? it comes with a bx6

20180825_171853.jpg

I've had the same case in a Desktop version in 1996. Here in The Netherlands it was sold under the brandname "Curbs".
007.jpg

Currently I'm rebuilding my 1996 PII, 266Mhz PC. And I'm looking for the Big Tower on the far left of the above picture.

regards,
Martijn.

Those monitors looks very familiar, I might have had one of those. Are they Iiyamas by any chance?

Reply 108 of 223, by Martijn1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes they are.
iiyama Vision Master Pro 17" Diamondtron

Reply 109 of 223, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Martijn1974 wrote on 2021-08-15, 19:41:

Yes they are.

Did some searching and yes, definitely had one of those. It was the last CRT I had before moving from The Netherlands to Australia. Can't recall what happened to it, it's been more than 15 years, was impossible to take with me. Probably ended up in the trash... 🙁

Are these the CRT's that had a faint dark horizontal line toward the lower end of the screen? Somebody told me that two pieces of tube had to be welded together because they couldn't manufacture the panel in one piece. Not sure if that was BS or not. I do remember the picture on this display was really good.

dsc01974.jpg

(not mine, just a random photo on the Internet)

Reply 110 of 223, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it was a diamondtron, you could see the shadow of the very thin wire that was needed to hold the shadow mask in place. Without it, it would vibrate too much and cause color distortion. The larger the tube, the more stabilization wires were needed.

Reply 111 of 223, by Martijn1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
digistorm wrote on 2021-08-16, 08:16:

If it was a diamondtron, you could see the shadow of the very thin wire that was needed to hold the shadow mask in place. ...

Yes, that's exactly what it was.

Do you remember the Degauss function. A gigantic magnetic impuls trough the screen to keep things aligned, and the picture sharp.
Man I loverd those monitors. Weighed a ton though.

Reply 112 of 223, by Martijn1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the mean time I have found what seems to be the only other picture on the web of this tower.
big-tower.jpg
(photo: Dreamstime.com)

Sadly there is no info as to make or leads to where it could have been found.
But al teast we have a better photo now.

Martijn.

Reply 113 of 223, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Martijn1974 wrote on 2021-09-13, 06:00:
In the mean time I have found what seems to be the only other picture on the web of this tower. https://p2project.hanulveen.nl/b […]
Show full quote

In the mean time I have found what seems to be the only other picture on the web of this tower.
big-tower.jpg
(photo: Dreamstime.com)

Sadly there is no info as to make or leads to where it could have been found.
But al teast we have a better photo now.

Martijn.

I had that case, pretty sure it's a Supermicro. Trying to remember the model number but it was something like SM901 or SC601. I used mine for around 5-6 years, it housed a bunch of different systems with the last being an Athlon Phenom before I sold the case around 2009-10. Although it was great in the era when there was a point to having multiple optical drives, it wasn't my favourite case as it did not have a removable motherboard tray.

EDIT: It's not the SC601 or 801 - https://issuu.com/dougalder/docs/1997-11_cana … puter_wholesale - which is on pages 22-23.

I might have more pics on an old hard disk, but that will take some time to track down. Hopefully you can find the case you're looking for.

EDIT: Here is a Russian site discussing the big tower Supermicro SC-901D in 2000. https://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=49:137 - the last post mentions a U-shaped lid i.e. one piece metal cover, and a door attached. I'm nearly 100% sure it's the same case I had, which is the one in your pictures.

Last edited by JidaiGeki on 2021-11-17, 15:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 114 of 223, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

don't know when it was made, seller referred to it as a "Win" case. Accepts an ssi-teb serverboard, but perhaps nothing else (i.e cpu heatsinks):

20210913_195146.jpg
Filename
20210913_195146.jpg
File size
907.79 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20210913_195320.jpg
Filename
20210913_195320.jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

it's kind of chunky and I love it.

Reply 115 of 223, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oooooo, fancy! It might be inwin maybe??? I had one where the motherboard tray folds out the back but not a slider before.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 118 of 223, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2021-08-15, 22:05:
Did some searching and yes, definitely had one of those. It was the last CRT I had before moving from The Netherlands to Austra […]
Show full quote

Yes they are.

Did some searching and yes, definitely had one of those. It was the last CRT I had before moving from The Netherlands to Australia. Can't recall what happened to it, it's been more than 15 years, was impossible to take with me. Probably ended up in the trash... 🙁

Are these the CRT's that had a faint dark horizontal line toward the lower end of the screen? Somebody told me that two pieces of tube had to be welded together because they couldn't manufacture the panel in one piece. Not sure if that was BS or not. I do remember the picture on this display was really good.

dsc01974.jpg

I purchased not even a month ago a complete-with-box vision master 404. Fantastic monitor. Does up to 1600x1200@80. Wanted to use it on my main PC but getting a digital RGB to analogue RGB adaptor which goes above 60Hz is a right PITA.

Reply 119 of 223, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2021-08-15, 22:05:
Did some searching and yes, definitely had one of those. It was the last CRT I had before moving from The Netherlands to Austra […]
Show full quote

Yes they are.

dsc01974.jpg

I believe Sony Trinitrons were the first to have these damping wires as a consequence of their design, later copied by others. (The tube wasn't welded together, whoever told that was BSing you.)

Example knock offs (shamelessly copied from wikipedia):
Gateway Computer "Vivitron"
MAG Innovision "Technitron"
NEC Display Solutions (NEC/Mitsubishi) "Diamondtron"
Samsung "Hitron"
ViewSonic "SonicTron"

Are we sensing a pattern here? 🤣

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB