VOGONS

First post, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my garage, alongside a WordPerfect 4.0 box and some early Windows 3.1 stuff, I found this other stuff. Problem is that I have no idea what computer it could've belonged to. Never found any remnants of a computer in the garage, and I don't remember it at all either, so my parents probably threw it out some years after they got their Presario 4814. It was all one piece so I'm assuming it went with a specific computer.

Said hardware stuff came in this plastic wrap:
MyDUn2z.jpg

It came with:

-Two incredibly warped (and probably nonfunctional) 5.25" SVGA utility disks:
h1yQCJ2.jpg

-Keys for the computer case it came with:
f408vy2.jpg

-A GA-486US user's manual, which, from my knowledge, was a Gigabyte motherboard used with 486 machines:
X7NQbkK.jpg

-A small manual for a Trident 8900C SVGA video card:
dy4sxrY.jpg

-A reference guide for an ASKA-2831 AT I/O card, used as a printer/game port:
AfhKk3S.jpg

-And finally, an assembly drawing of a case, for a case with a model of "CLM-101":
XlbYPWa.jpg

If anyone can identify said computer that fit all these standards, that would be great.

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:
Fujitsu Lifebook E330 - Working w/ Win95
Fujitsu Lifebook C352 - Nonworking 🙁
HP Pavilion A520N - Working w/ WinXP
AST Ascentia M 5260X - Working w/ WinME
IBM ThinkPad 770 - Working w/ Win2K

Reply 1 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

no way to pinpoint a specific model - all of that docs/drivers belong to parts of a custom 486pc you would buy from your local computer store that they assembled right there.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 7, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

no way to pinpoint a specific model - all of that docs/drivers belong to parts of a custom 486pc you would buy from your local computer store that they assembled right there.

I don't know if it's custom, my parents aren't really that intelligent about technology.

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:
Fujitsu Lifebook E330 - Working w/ Win95
Fujitsu Lifebook C352 - Nonworking 🙁
HP Pavilion A520N - Working w/ WinXP
AST Ascentia M 5260X - Working w/ WinME
IBM ThinkPad 770 - Working w/ Win2K

Reply 3 of 7, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Custom as in not made by an OEM, but rather it was assembled by a local shop.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 4 of 7, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are definitely for a custom (AKA "whitebox") build that a tiny shop did, as the previous posters stated, and are the manuals/drivers for the individual off-the-shelf components that went into it. The machine was not a pre-built model from one of the major makers, such as Compaq or IBM.

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Popular site around here of such a place that built "whitebox" systems
http://www.redhill.net.au/ig.html

Warning once you start, you'll spend hours reading about the different hardware

Reply 6 of 7, by rjbrown99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dickkickem wrote on 2018-05-20, 17:31:
-A GA-486US user's manual, which, from my knowledge, was a Gigabyte motherboard used with 486 machines: https://i.imgur.com/X7NQ […]
Show full quote

-A GA-486US user's manual, which, from my knowledge, was a Gigabyte motherboard used with 486 machines:
X7NQbkK.jpg

@dickkickem any chance you still have that GA-486US manual? And if so would you be willing to either part with it or take pictures of the pages? There is an abbreviated (and I suspect partially wrong) manual online @ stason.org. I'm trying to find the original but it's not available online anywhere I could find it. Much appreciated.

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png