VOGONS

First post, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Applecd seams Easy and cheaper to find, does any one know if applecd scsi case can be used on a pc?

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 2 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What drivers? Just use something like ASPICD (if you have an adaptec card).
As far as I recall, "apple scsi" just means a 25-pin connector rather than the standard 50pin. There are adapters available. As long as you set the drive up properly and terminate everything, it should work.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

What drivers? Just use something like ASPICD (if you have an adaptec card).
As far as I recall, "apple scsi" just means a 25-pin connector rather than the standard 50pin. There are adapters available. As long as you set the drive up properly and terminate everything, it should work.

AppleCD drives are apparently Apple-specific SCSI CD drives. Until someone tries it, we don't know whether they'll work with ASPICD...

Reply 4 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A long time ago, I had an Apple-branded, 2X external CD burner. 50-pin SCSI connector with an NEC drive IIRC. Caddy loading. It worked fine in Windows 95 or 98 with the Adaptec PCI SCSI card I was using at the time. I don't remember if I ever tried it in DOS.

I found some of the old CDs I burnt with that drive a couple years ago and imaged them. They all still read completely fine. Not bad for nearly 20-year-old CD-Rs, considering I was undoubtedly buying the cheapest ones I could find at the time. 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 7, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SCSI is a specified standard. So any SCSI device compliant to the standard will work on any compliant adapter. There is no reason it should not work. Just some UNIX workstations like RS/6000, hp 9000 and SUN use a different sector size of 2048 bytes for optical drives instead of 512 bytes common on PCs. But the drives were mainly manufactured for PC so these drives can be jumpered to be used on PC, while not any PC SCSI drive can be jumpered to be used on these UNIX machines. There are of course adapters not fully compliant to the standard like the Seagate ST01/02 supporting only two HDDs or some NCR 53C400 based cards only usable for scanners. The physical interface is a different topic, as there are numerous different connectors for the different SCSI flavours, ranging from 25 pin sub-D (Apllescsi), 50 pin HD, 50 Pin Sub-D (used by older SUN workstations), 50 pin Centronics style, 50 pin mini Centronics (on some IBM PS/2), 68 pin HD, 68 pin VHDCI , 68pin mini Centronics (some IBM PS/2 and RS/6000) up to 80 pin SCA (for hotplug drives). The good thing is there are adapter solutions for allmost any connector.

Reply 7 of 7, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

+ another vote for it'll work fine with generic drivers for your SCSI card. Keep in mind the Apple CD300 and CD600 aren't great reading anything but original discs, they struggle with burnt media. 12 - 24X Apple SCSI drivers are very reliable and read anything.