VOGONS

Adding PS/2 support to a 486.

Topic actions

First post, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What do I need in order to add PS/2 support (for a PS/2 mouse) to a 486 motherboard that has ISA support?

I don't think the motherboard itself supports it. However, I seem to recall there were ISA cards that gives you this feature even when it isn't supported by the motherboard.

What should I look for?

Reply 1 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are no ISA cards that can supply a PS/2 port, because some of the electrical signals that are required are not on the ISA bus. The only way to do it is to assemble a kit and modify your keyboard controller. This can be done to some boards more easily than others. It depends on if your keyboard controller is soldered to the board or not. Some boards even integrated the keyboard controller into the chipset, and in that case you're SOL.

If you do a quick vogons search, you can pull up the development thread on the PS/2 mod. In addition to the hardware, it will normally also require a software driver as well.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 28, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

There are no ISA cards that can supply a PS/2 port, because some of the electrical signals that are required are not on the ISA bus.

I picked up this 8-bit ISA card in a recent fleamarket find:

IMG_9301.jpg
Filename
IMG_9301.jpg
File size
134.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Sure has a PS/2 mouse connector, it's even indicated as such on the board itself. Although since the other connectors are serial and parallel ports it may just integrate a PS/2 to serial port bridge...

Reply 3 of 28, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are two different approaches to this:

They are both good reads, but implementation requires some skills, as it seems. 😊

Native PS/2 mouse implementation for 386/486 boards using the keyboard controller (usng onboard KBC)

PS/2 to Microsoft Serialmouse Adapter Converter / Updated First Post / Firmware Update added (a serial to PS/2 converter design)

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 4 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
I picked up this 8-bit ISA card in a recent fleamarket find: […]
Show full quote
Anonymous Coward wrote:

There are no ISA cards that can supply a PS/2 port, because some of the electrical signals that are required are not on the ISA bus.

IMG_9301.jpg

Sure has a PS/2 mouse connector, it's even indicated as such on the board itself. Although since the other connectors are serial and parallel ports it may just integrate a PS/2 to serial port bridge...

Please take some better photos of the front and back of the card. This card couldn't possibly be fully PS/2 compatible, because 8-bit card edges don't have IRQ12. Perhaps it uses its own special driver.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well that little 8-bit ISA card sure looks interesting. I wonder if it was meant for some OEM's computer system. Could you provide some high resolution photos of the top/bottom/side? For PS/2 expansion cards, I've only ever seen an 8-bit ISA Microsoft bus mouse card and a PCI USB to PS/2 card.

All the PS/2 mouse implementations I've seen on motherboards have been on IRQ 12. I suppose it would be possible to run the mouse on a lower IRQ, e.g. IRQ 7, if the BIOS was aware of it or there was some driver to set this up.

Have you tested this card yet?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 28, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wouldn't it be easiest to just use an adapter on the serial port? They are very cheap on eBay and I never found one that didn't work.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 7 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote:

Wouldn't it be easiest to just use an adapter on the serial port? They are very cheap on eBay and I never found one that didn't work.

Which adapter do you have in mind?

Reply 8 of 28, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote:

Those are passive adaptors that requires a PS/2 mouse with serial mode capability (read = old). There will be no USB mice for example to have support for serial protocol, although till several years ago, many of them were PS2 compatible.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 9 of 28, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought all adapters were good for all ps2 mice. Guess I've just been lucky 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 10 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Passive adapters can only work with dual-protocol PS/2-serial mice. Active adapters, like external adapters from vetra systems, and a few others , require power and seem to have substantial lag issues when used with some KVM's. Higher screen resolutions tend to cause some lag as well. For these reasons, it can be beneficial to implement native-PS/2 mouse support to the motherboard. This seems to work for most systems with an external keyboard controller chip. Here's a photo of such an adapter, Re: Native PS/2 mouse implementation for 386/486 boards using the keyboard controller

Reply 11 of 28, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:
yawetaG wrote:
I picked up this 8-bit ISA card in a recent fleamarket find: […]
Show full quote
Anonymous Coward wrote:

IMG_9301.jpg

Please take some better photos of the front and back of the card. This card couldn't possibly be fully PS/2 compatible, because 8-bit card edges don't have IRQ12. Perhaps it uses its own special driver.

I will upload better pictures tomorrow. The only identifier on the card is a type number "CT-8120S", which gives very few hits on Google (here's the same type of card on a Swiss site: https://www.tutti.ch/de/vi/graubuenden/comput … -8120s/18549739).
AFAIK, the card may originate from the large German electronics mail order company Conrad Electronic, who sold many similar no-name cards back in the mid- to late 1990s.

Reply 12 of 28, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Well that little 8-bit ISA card sure looks interesting. I wonder if it was meant for some OEM's computer system. Could you provide some high resolution photos of the top/bottom/side? For PS/2 expansion cards, I've only ever seen an 8-bit ISA Microsoft bus mouse card and a PCI USB to PS/2 card.

All the PS/2 mouse implementations I've seen on motherboards have been on IRQ 12. I suppose it would be possible to run the mouse on a lower IRQ, e.g. IRQ 7, if the BIOS was aware of it or there was some driver to set this up.

Better pictures:

IMG_9390.jpg
Filename
IMG_9390.jpg
File size
115.48 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_9386.jpg
Filename
IMG_9386.jpg
File size
253.98 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_9387.jpg
Filename
IMG_9387.jpg
File size
167.63 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_9389.jpg
Filename
IMG_9389.jpg
File size
211.73 KiB
Views
File license

Have you tested this card yet?

Unfortunately I don't have a system to test the card on (yet).

Edit: After some googling, I wonder whether this card might be an industrial appliance card for driving a CNC router system - notice how the serial ports are marked as "COM X" and "COM Y"? I can't find much info about the "Twinhead" chip, but there's a company called AXYZ that makes a 6010 twin head router...coincidence? The serial ports would then be used to drive the X/Y position of the router head, the parallel port would handle the remaining communication, and the mouse port would handle input from the user...

Last edited by yawetaG on 2018-05-25, 18:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 28, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That doesn't look at all like a ps/2 port to me. Or is it on the ribbon cables?? The connector I'm seeing is 9 pin.

Ps/2 has 6 pins in a circular pattern with a large rectangular piece of plastic in the center.

Last edited by BeginnerGuy on 2018-05-25, 18:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 14 of 28, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BeginnerGuy wrote:

That doesn't look at all like a ps/2 port to me. Or is it on the ribbon cables??

Yeah, you're right 😅 I didn't look at the connector closely enough. The ribbon cables are 2x serial ports.

Reply 17 of 28, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, well, that too. 😊 Now where to find a Microsoft bus mouse...

(Twinhead apparently was a PC manufacturer in the late 1980s and early 1990s, so maybe the card comes from one of their systems)

Reply 18 of 28, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are plenty of them on Ebay for me (US). feipoa is right, it's for the MS bus mouse.

(snagged from an ebay auction).

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
275.57 KiB
Views
File license

Not quite PS/2 though 🙁..

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 19 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2-button, sometimes 3. Expensive relative to serial mice. I don't think many (any?) KVM's support the bus mouse. I cannot see much advantage over serial mice, except that its a kinds neat thing to have as part of computer history. I sorta recall the sample rate of bus mice being faster (better) than that of serial mice. I feel the best approach is to modify the motherboard's keyboard controller to allow for native ps/2 mice.