VOGONS

First post, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I work at an e-cycle warehouse, and the other day a BLUE baby-AT motherboard with an embedded Cyrix CPU came in.

I've tried different memory and video combinations trying to get it to boot, but apparently they weren't correct.

Perhaps you guys can help?

The processor model is GXI-200BP.

The Northbridge is a CX5510Rev2.

My boss said it came from a company that likes to tinker, I'm hoping this isn't just a dud...

Attachments

Reply 1 of 19, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Were you using a PCI video card?
MediaGX CPUs have built-in video core and I couldn't find a way to disable it on your board. FYI here is the manual and here is the diagram.
The VGA header on this board is shared with the MIDI header. Couldn't find its pinout.
Interestingly your board has integrated a CMI8330 audio chip, while the MediaGX CPUs also have audio core.

Reply 2 of 19, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:

MediaGX CPUs have built-in video core and I couldn't find a way to disable it on your board. The VGA header on this board is shared with the MIDI header. Couldn't find its pinout.

Does that mean you weren't able to use/test your board so far? Well, the ICS5342 GENDAC outputs R, G and B on pins 37, 38 & 40, it should be fairly easy to trace those to the midi header. You would only have to find out the h-sync and v-sync pins, and a scope would be useful for that, although I suspect you can also identify those with a multimeter that can measure frequency. I'll have to embark on this task myself, as I have two Headland daughterboard VGAs, I guess they were originally part of some industrial single-board computers. So, not the usual "golden fingers" ISA connector, neither standard VGA D-Sub connector, only headers.

@Flare - have you connected a speaker to the appropriate header? If so, any beeps or is it dead silent? Also, a POST diagnostic card should come in handy.

Reply 3 of 19, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good start, guys.

The integrated graphics certainly explains why I could never get video going, and I just pulled a speaker from a scrap PC to test for beeps.

But would this board want PC-100 or PC-133 SDRAM? The manual doesn't specify.

I keep a multimeter in my office, and we have a working scope or two in the 'keep' part of the warehouse, but I've never used one before.

Reply 4 of 19, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But would this board want PC-100 or PC-133 SDRAM?

PC-66 or EDO.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 19, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

But would this board want PC-100 or PC-133 SDRAM?

PC-66 or EDO.

We don't seem to have any PC-66 modules.

Any particular kind of EDO? I get repeated steady beeping with a 32MB module I pulled.

Reply 6 of 19, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Flare wrote:

Any PC100 or PC133 module can work at 66MHz (in PC66 mode).

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 7 of 19, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ATauenis wrote:
Flare wrote:

That depends on the module. Back in the day, when I worked at a computer store, it was always very hit or miss on whether or not PC100 or PC133 sticks would work at 66Mhz.

Theoretically they should just work, but it isn't necessarily going to work.

Sometime stuff that is supposed to work just doesn't... like the first 5x86 compatible motherboard I bought. The specs said it was compatible, but no matter what I tried, Windows would always BSOD when trying to install.

The store I bought it from even tried it and another of the same board and neither would work properly. They ended up replacing the board with a different, more expensive model for no extra charge.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 19, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
ATauenis wrote:

Theoretically they should just work, but it isn't necessarily going to work.

Nope, tried a 100 and a 133 and it's still beeping at me like it's screaming in pain.

I'll keep an eye out for 66MHz modules, or possibly invest in one later.

If nothing else it will make a nice piece of wall art for my office.

Reply 9 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try SIMMs first, this thing should accept pretty much any pair of 72p you stick in there.

Also, early SDRAM controllers didn't like big chips. I have no idea of the specs of the controller in a MediaGX, but if it's similar to an i430VX or Via VPX it can only handle very low density chips, so no DIMMs bigger than 64MB and that only with 16 or even 32 chips. I'd recommend using no larger than 32MB DIMMs until you know otherwise.

Reply 10 of 19, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you get that working you will basically have a fast that being a really good 486 system with everything you can want short of having ps2 ports. The standard 72 pin edo is easy as lemon sqeezy to find but sticks over 32mb or so are going to cost more not that you will need a lot for dos and 9x.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11 of 19, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Flare wrote:

The Northbridge is a CX5510Rev2.

Just for the record, MediaGX SoCs don't have NorthBridge. It is integrated with the CPU and the Video core in the same Chip. What you identified as Northbridge is really SoC's SouthBridge 😀. Here they used Cyrix, but it also can be NS/TSMC, AMD or VIA.

Reply 12 of 19, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the breakout board that connects to that motherboard. It says "MGX-1 MIDI BOARD" on it, although it has VGA, s-vid/composite, and analog audio (no midi). The cable has 20 conductors but only 19 pins (pin 20 is blocked off). I can tell the pin assignment for VGA signals

-1--2--3--4--5--6--7--8--9-10
11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19---

If the female connector at the end of the CABLE were numbered as such...
2=hsync
3=vsync
4=ID1
5=return
10=ID0
11=red
12=green
13=blue
17=GND

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 13 of 19, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bakemono wrote:

I have the breakout board that connects to that motherboard.

Thanks, that pinout info is most helpful.

I ordered a PC-66 memory module since the board doesn't seem to like EDO, should be in next week.

If I can confirm it works, would you be willing to sell that board?

Reply 14 of 19, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually have the 180MHz version of this motherboard. So if you were referring to selling just the breakout board separately, I'm afraid that wouldn't make sense.

BTW, it can boot with an ISA video card instead of the built-in video (but maybe not a PCI card?)

Reply 15 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, cool, a potential Cyrix MediaGX1 build! I haven't run into anyone from Vogons running the GX1. I run the GXm-266 (PGA form). I sourced a rather hard to find GX1-300 in PGA form, but it didn't run well in my motherboard. My board has the CX5530 chipset and, until I saw your motherboard photo, thought that the GX1 could only work with the CX5530A chipset (based on what is written in wiki).

On my motherboard, I recall needing to disable the onboard video in the BIOS to use a PCI card; either that, or I had to set the VGA priority. However, part of the historical glory in using MediaGX motherboards is because of the novel way in which Cyrix integrated the memory congroller, graphics, and audio into the CPU. They were way ahead of their time. But alas, I also run my system with expansion cards because the onboard graphics and audio are pretty bad when compared to the alternatives. I use a Banshee in my board.

Also interesting about your board are the 3 PCI slots. I recall the MediaGX being limited to 2.

I also like how your board has 72-pin SIMM slots. Mine only has two SDRAM slots. I wanted to use 256 MB of RAM, but for stability, I would need to add a memory timing wait-state. To eliminate that wait-state, I instead use 192 MB. I've run into this issue on other socket 7 motherboards which contained, both, SIMMs and SDRAM slots and using the SIMMs, rather than SDRAM, allowed for less wait states.

I use PC100 in my board just fine.

The manual mentions it has a PS/2 mouse header!

Did you setup all the jumpers accordingly, like 33 or 30 MHz FSB, correct multiplier, CPU voltage, etc? There is even a jumper to set your memory voltage, 3.3 V or 5 V. I wish my board had that feature. I have some 3.3 V SIMMs which no other board I own can use.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 16 of 19, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Did you setup all the jumpers accordingly, like 33 or 30 MHz FSB, correct multiplier, CPU voltage, etc? There is even a jumper to set your memory voltage, 3.3 V or 5 V.

Most of the jumper pins were omitted and are soldered instead. I left the board in my office at work (I work at an e-cycle warehouse and pulled it from a scrap bin) but as I recall the only actual jumpers on it are for memory voltage and there was one on the front panel header.

I was thinking it would make a nice wall computer, unless the CPU gets too hot to run without a heatsink, in which case I'll probably just display it in my office. I like its 'gold on blue' appearance.

Reply 18 of 19, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

OK, sounds like you're giving up on it.

Not entirely, I merely thought it looked cool. But if it's as interesting as you say then it might be worth selling.

I admit I don't know a lot about vintage computers, but I do like saving valuable things from the scrap bins.