VOGONS

First post, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Long story short this happens on some of my PC games such as G-NOME and Microsoft Pinball Arcade (I think it's mainly DirectX stuff but Astrorock worked fine) if I try to exit or after some sound is played it crashes and shows the stop errors. I can't get back to windows and I can only reset the PC or hope that ctrl alt del fast enough would reboot. Another thing is that it point outs VMOUSE.VXD or VTAPDI.VXD for some reason.

I have tried reinstalling drivers, system recoveries, scanreg, and reinstalling games! I don't want to format the drive and reinstall Windows!

I'm using Windows 98 SE on a Pentium III with a VIA Chipset. Cards are S3 Trio (Which I'm going to replace soon) and Sound Blaster Live. Please help me out here - I'm close to just chucking the motherboard out and using it for shooting practice! WHY in the world is Windows 98 SE so finicky and bratty? Who in the right mind decided that it needed to mess up so frequently?!

Reply 1 of 10, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What model Sound Blaster Live! (e.g. CT4xxx or SB0xxx number) do you have? I know that some OEM model SB Live! cards have problematic Windows 98 drivers so it's good to know if your model is one of the affected ones. Since you've mentioned that some games cause your system to crash when they play some sound effects, chances are your SB Live! card is the problem.

Reply 3 of 10, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eric1992 wrote:

It's a CT4780 and I went ahead and just reinstalled windows.

Man, i'm sorry to inform you that you felt into the OEM SB Live! scam.
Don't worry i felt for it too,it is a dell oem crap.
if you want take a look: SoundBlaster Live! SB16 Emulation not working

Reply 5 of 10, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, a new one won't help.

The problem probably isn't that it is a Dell OEM card, it is that the motherboard isn't properly supporting the IRQ/DMA redirection required for the DOS support in the SBlive drivers.

You should try with a different motherboard, and also make sure you have updated to the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Also make sure that the IRQ and DMA that your emulated SB runs on is set to ISA mode in the motherboard BIOS.

Care to list the exact motherboard you are using.

In general, I have found DOS support on PCI sound cards can be tricky to get working reliably.

Edit: Ignore the above, I was reading the other thread and I assumed you had the same problem. What I would do in your case is to download the liveware 3.1 off this website and modify the INF files to work with the PCI ids of your soundblaster. I have a Dell 4830 here that I had to do this for. Let me know if you need help there.

Reply 6 of 10, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote:
No, a new one won't help. […]
Show full quote

No, a new one won't help.

The problem probably isn't that it is a Dell OEM card, it is that the motherboard isn't properly supporting the IRQ/DMA redirection required for the DOS support in the SBlive drivers.

You should try with a different motherboard, and also make sure you have updated to the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Also make sure that the IRQ and DMA that your emulated SB runs on is set to ISA mode in the motherboard BIOS.

Care to list the exact motherboard you are using.

In general, I have found DOS support on PCI sound cards can be tricky to get working reliably.

Edit: Ignore the above, I was reading the other thread and I assumed you had the same problem. What I would do in your case is to download the liveware 3.1 off this website and modify the INF files to work with the PCI ids of your soundblaster. I have a Dell 4830 here that I had to do this for. Let me know if you need help there.

Those dell oem ct4780 don't have dos support.

Reply 8 of 10, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
.legaCy wrote:

No, your problem was with your motherboard. I have tried a couple of creative audigy/live cards on Asus P5P800 based boards and have was never able to get them working with DOS support. But put them in a different motherboard, and it works fine with DOS support.

OPs problem is different.

Another gotcha is that DOS support only works with VXD drivers. If you install WDM drivers, you will not get the DOS drivers loaded.

OP, I will try these games out on my sorta similar system, see if I get the same problems.

Reply 9 of 10, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I've tried Microsoft Pinball Arcade and I am not able to reproduce the crashes you are seeing.

I am running it on:
Pentium III 667mhz
Acer S61 Motherboard - VIA Apollo Pro 133A
512meg 133mhz SDRAM
Geforce-4 MX440 64meg Video card
Realtek RTL8139 Network card
Sound Blaster Live value - CT8430 Dell OEM

Software:
Windows 98SE with IE6 and Unofficual Service Pack 3.5
Nvidia Forceware 53.04 Drivers
Creative Liveware 3 drivers, modded .inf file for my sound card (http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=805&menustate=0)
Replaced DOS Creative drivers with the vogan ones, as I was having key sticking issues with the Liveware 3 DOS drivers (http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=52&menustate=0)

I guess my suggestion would be to try the linked drivers above for your sound card first, and see if they work better.

Reply 10 of 10, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote:
No, your problem was with your motherboard. I have tried a couple of creative audigy/live cards on Asus P5P800 based boards and […]
Show full quote
.legaCy wrote:

No, your problem was with your motherboard. I have tried a couple of creative audigy/live cards on Asus P5P800 based boards and have was never able to get them working with DOS support. But put them in a different motherboard, and it works fine with DOS support.

OPs problem is different.

Another gotcha is that DOS support only works with VXD drivers. If you install WDM drivers, you will not get the DOS drivers loaded.

OP, I will try these games out on my sorta similar system, see if I get the same problems.

I tried on a sp97-xv , a7v233 and didn't succeded, on my topic you can see that im using the vxd, the dos compatibility show up, but any attempt to use it will fail or lock up.