VOGONS

First post, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I turned on the board for the first time, it came with 2x4MB RAM sticks in bank 0 and 1
I wanted to add some more RAM and then it started to get confusing...
I got it to boot with 2x8 sticks but only if it was in bank 0 and 2. Then I wanted to add the 2x4 that the board came with: no boot.
Switching back to original config: only boot with sticks in 0 and 2 instead of 0 and 1
I tried some other combinations of 2 identical sticks and always had a boot (mostly 2x8MB sticks)
Now when I add 2 known working pairs together, it refuses to boot again. I tried a pair in 0-1/2-3 and 0-2/1-3 with no success.

Am I missing something here? According to Stason, this board can take 128MB but the max I get out of it, is 16MB...

Second one is the VLB. I have a VLB card that I could never test until now. Probably the card is defective (even though no visible damage to the card) but 2 times the light turned blue on my monitor but it got no image on the screen. If no signal is received, the light stays orange so there must have been something being sent.
I don't suppose there is a setting in the BIOS for this? I saw some small section mentioning VLB slave device or something but I don't find info on this.
When my S3 was in the first PCI slot, it didn't give me an image too. Is this because the VLB bus is activated when it is plugged in too?

Sorry for the questions but I am learning every day 😀

Hmmm I think I found the anwer on Stason: 32MB seems not possible with 4 banks. I didn't test all my sticks yet but I fear I have no bigger than 8MB atm. Should learn to study the tables more 😀

My retro collection: too much...