VOGONS

First post, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've seen a lot of guides on how to dual boot Windows 98 but that's with a single hard drive. Is there a way to do it with two hard drives without having to download some boot manager? I have Windows 98 SE installed on both drives.

Reply 1 of 7, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dependong on the bios it will let you choose which drive will be booted when you press one key on post(usually f8), if the bios don't support i think that changing boot order in the setup is the way to go without any software.

Reply 3 of 7, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How about using CF cards in an IDE adapter on the front of your case?

That's what i use to switch between DOS and Windows 98 in my build.

I see one just like mine is for sale on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADTRON-3-5-ATA-to-ID … ER/202296947991

Or if you want a black one these work well too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/StarTech-com-3-5-Inc … er/192449282570

Both mount in a 3.5" bay.

Reply 4 of 7, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's very convincing. I'll look into it - though I'd have to get a 5.25 bracket for that since my case is kinda funny with the 3.5 drives. The hard drives go in the same area where the 3.5 floppy drive is.

Reply 5 of 7, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eric1992 wrote:

That's very convincing. I'll look into it - though I'd have to get a 5.25 bracket for that since my case is kinda funny with the 3.5 drives. The hard drives go in the same area where the 3.5 floppy drive is.

I had to 'adapt' mine to 5.25" as well.

If you have a Best Buy in your area, try seeing if they have 32GB Sandisk Extreme CF cards on sale for $32 instead of $80.

Mine still does: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme- … p?skuId=1923006

Reply 6 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I installed a switch that swapped master and slave settings on the two HDDs, as BIOS didn't allow to change boot order. Touching that switch while system runs is a very bad idea 🤣.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 7, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hard to find these days ...
less so in the US ...
I had to import mine ..but opens up a world of possibilities with switched operating systems for old IDE drives.
I use mine in a 6 x OS tower ..which has 3 operating systems per drive (triple primary partitions)
and I can physically select which drive of the 3 prior to power up ..
I then use a boot manager to select the required OS on the drive selected..
I think one is currently being adverised for sale on Amazon..around 25 dollars used.
the :- ROMTEC RX-910T6 Romtec Trios
fits in a vacant 5.25 inch tower or dektop bay.
rgds
VS

Attachments

• trios.jpg
    Filename
    trios.jpg
    File size
    79.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception