VOGONS

First post, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’m looking for 386 owners, early Intel pre-D1 stepping (preferably B1), willing to help me with code testing. I don’t think AMD ever made those due to Intel lawsuit but if you do have such AMD chip I’m interested in it as well. Basically I’m trying to verify if my CPU bug detection code actually works on other stuff than POPA (which is common even in AMD processors) so I need a known defective CPU to test on. I will ask you to run some DOS executables I prepared and report the results. I can make the tests run headless, booting from a floppy and write the result to a file – that’s in case you don’t have a working monitor or it’s a laptop with dead LCD/backlight.

You can test what stepping your 386 is by running NSSI from here: http://www.navsoft.cz/products.htm (boot your system without EMM386). Value of 8 is D1 (for AMD it’s reported as B but it’s actually a clone of Intel D1). AMD 40MHz DX/SX owners need not apply – these things are too new and I have them on hand anyway. Unless it's a DXL low-power variant, I'm curious if it still has POPA bug like DX.