VOGONS

Getting rid of tobacco smell.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by BonesK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure how it will do on tobacco smell, but every time i need to get fish smell out of my coolers after a fishing trip, I wash them out, wipe down the inside with vanilla, leave some vanilla on a paper towel, put it in the cooler, and close the lid for a few days. Gets the smell right out better than anything else i've tried. You could try similar, just have to find a container with a good seal that is the right size to close the module in for a few days.

Reply 21 of 23, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
badmojo wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

I wish it was only pee. 🙁

Awwww I’m trying to eat my breakfast here man!

It wasn't what you're thinking, either. Having said that, read on if you dare.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_gland

Dude now I'm trying to eat my lunch!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 22 of 23, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Baoran -- I'm with you on trying the easiest, dry methods first

The proven method is to use an (industrial) ozone generator, which is used to clear up smells in cars, boats or houses, so see and ask around if you can perhaps borrow it.

Baking soda may work, but I usually use it on carpets/cloths/stuff that I can wash away afterward as I would spread the powder on the target surface and wet or at least apply some moisture on it (otherwise I'm not sure how long it would take). Or at least something I could just vacuum the powder out of while dry.

Tea bags are far more convenient because they happen to be so good at absorbing smell (little cuts = more surface area; bags = easy to put over stuff) and I can keep things dry. (Loose tea leaves work too, but it'll be a mess...)

I did it with a cigarette-smelling camera before -- I put around 8-10 tea bags and the camera into a plastic bag and left it for a couple days. And though it left some scents of black tea afterward, it was far better than the smokey cigarette smell. (Just blow the remaining scents -- and tea dust -- away with a fan, or even better, a handheld blower)

I think you'll have to open up the case while doing so though, because that's likely where the smoke residues are most difficult to remove. Also try cleaning up the case / top cover and front plate separately by wet-wiping them with a bit of vinegar.

@BonesK -- I like the smell of vanilla, so I might just try it for something!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 23 of 23, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

a ozone generator removes the smell, its used for car refurbishing.

maybe you can ask a refurbisher to put your part inside a car when they do it.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board