VOGONS

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently installed Windows 98 SE on a Compaq Presario SR1215CB. This machine has an ASUS A7V8X-LA motherboard (a relative of the A7V8X-X) with a VIA KM400A chipset. Other specs include Sempron 3000+ CPU, 512MB DDR-333, GeForce4 MX420, and 60 GB IDE HDD.

This system is basically stable, but fails to shut down or restart maybe 20% of the time. (It gets stuck on the "Windows is shutting down" screen.) I think this may have to do with a curious item I found in Device Manager:

GrbFjFdh_o.png

So, Motherboard Resources has a resource conflict, but there are no conflicting devices. Also, there are two entries for Motherboard Resources. Hmm...

Here's what I've tried so far:

1) Installed VIA 4-in-1 driver version 4.56 (installed without issues).

2) Installed VIA USB 2.0 driver version 2.70 (also installed without issues, and USB 2.0 even works 😁).

3) Removed both instances of Motherboard Resources from Device Manager and rebooted. Went through several iterations of the "Found New Hardware" wizard; problem persisted.

4) Disabled all non-essential peripherals in the BIOS (onboard Ethernet, serial port, parallel port).

There are no other conflicts listed in Device Manager, and apart from the shutdown / reboot problems, the system seems to be healthy. (Runs 3DMark2000 and other demos and games without issues.)

Any ideas?

PCGames9505

Reply 3 of 10, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would Disable this device and see what will happen.
It can be some weird driver issue with other driver.
Reasoning :
If this device would be doing something crucial, you woudn't be able to use your PC.
So, it can't be that important...

157143230295.png

Reply 4 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember that Via recommended other drivers for your chipset/OS (4.13?), but I'm not sure...

Have you tried to find HP/Compaq drivers? Sometimes there are some devices (like SMBus) that are not properly detected unless using proprietary drivers.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try installing the Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack 2.1a and see what happens (just the main updates).
It also includes the fast shutdown patch.

Also support Zup's recommendation - install the VIA 4-in1 4.43 drivers.

Reply 6 of 10, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hanging on the shut down screen is typically an issue with ACPI. I would hazard to guess that the bios isn't fully compliant or Windows didn't correctly install it's support for ACPI, and defaulted back, thus the two motherboard resources devices. This isn't a Windows installation that was done on another computer that got swapped into this pc was it? Sometimes that works fine, sometimes not.

If you're looking for a resource conflict, run msinfo32.exe in the Run box and look at the conflicts section.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 7 of 10, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maximus wrote:
I recently installed Windows 98 SE on a Compaq Presario SR1215CB. This machine has an ASUS A7V8X-LA motherboard (a relative of t […]
Show full quote

I recently installed Windows 98 SE on a Compaq Presario SR1215CB. This machine has an ASUS A7V8X-LA motherboard (a relative of the A7V8X-X) with a VIA KM400A chipset. Other specs include Sempron 3000+ CPU, 512MB DDR-333, GeForce4 MX420, and 60 GB IDE HDD.

This system is basically stable, but fails to shut down or restart maybe 20% of the time. (It gets stuck on the "Windows is shutting down" screen.) I think this may have to do with a curious item I found in Device Manager:

GrbFjFdh_o.png

I have the same problem on an A7V8X-LA motherboard. It could be the PnP aware OS is enabled in the BIOS. I'll check that and see if it fixes the issues and report back.

Edit: that didn't work. I also removed the two motherboard resources drivers and it's still occurring. I'm going to find the VIA driver-set since I believe it's a wrong driver installed.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 8 of 10, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently transferred the motherboard of a Dell GX150 SFF to a full size case and had this motherboard resources problem also. when i connected the front usb ports from the old case back to the board it went away. Not sure if this is any help but that was my experience.

Reply 9 of 10, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ole smoky2 wrote:

I recently transferred the motherboard of a Dell GX150 SFF to a full size case and had this motherboard resources problem also. when i connected the front usb ports from the old case back to the board it went away. Not sure if this is any help but that was my experience.

Huh. I didn't think about that when I swapped the PCChips M871G motherboard with the HP motherboard. I kept the USB ports disabled on the motherboard due to a resource conflict with the sound card, graphics card, and so on. On Friday night, I will swap the boards once again, install the Linksys wireless card into the machine, get all of the drivers, install said drivers for the LAN, chipset, etc to make it work properly and see if the resource conflict issue disappears after connecting the front USB ports to the motherboard.

I remember when I installed the Athlon 64 motherboard into my XP machine, I had no sound coming out of the integrated sound card. What I did was cut the front audio cable off of the old Antec PC case I had, hooked it up to the motherboard, and I got sound coming out.

I'll post an update on here and see if that works out (might smoke test it tonight since I have to swap the video cards again from the GeForce2 MX400 to the GeForce 6200 AGP card I have).

Edit: still the same message. I even disabled the PnP service (will remove the ACPI driver and see what happens).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 10 of 10, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've run into this same problem with a few different socket 775 motherboards whereby one lone motherboard resources entry says resource conflict where there is no apparent conflict. However, in my case (and I suspect may be the same with yours), if you scroll through that list of input/output ranges, the conflict comes from 2 entries whose ranges overlap with each other. And it won't let me manually change the offending entry so I'm stuck with this. Doesn't seem to be causing any problems with my system, I'm just kind of anal about having exclamation points in my device manager.