VOGONS

First post, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder if there is a tool to control gamma on crt monitors that works for DOS.
See on windows98 for example you are given control over the gamma, you can change RED , GREEN AND BLUE manually.

I think my monitor is so old that has its issues.
For example the monitor built in menu only gives me "Color temperature":
Variable + 5000K + 9000K, one is too warm, the other one is very blueish.

anyway my problem is that depending on brightness and contrast settings that i choose, the screen shows a REDISH like black color. more like a a black mixed with red wine. If i increase the contrast to 85% and keep brightness level to 70% aprox, the redish color on black dissapears a lot.

but that redish should not happen for example on good crt monitors, if you increase the brightness and constrast you actually see grey or black or white. But in this case increasing the brightness and contrast looks good and if you lower it .. the blacks start to look black-redish.

On other colors the screen just looks perfect, for example win98 the screen looks with all colors nicely, including red, but i noticed it on DOS command prompt, because the background is black.

Reply 1 of 2, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The tinting you get on black means that this particular cathode is worn enough that the video amplifier can no longer drive it to cutoff (point where no electrons are emitted) so it remains partially on. It will get worse over time and workarounds will stop working sooner or later. There are no hardware fixes either outside replacing the tube, only temporary methods to postpone the time when workarounds stop working.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 2, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your monitor needs its white balance procedure redone (adjustment of the individual R/G/B bias/drive controls until a neutral grey is achieved along the entire luminance range). As Tiido said before me if the cahtodes are significantly worn out this could turn out to be impossible, but if the wear is mild (and you aren't putting this monitor under heavy use) the cathodes can be re-balanced and it should last you for a good while.

Using video card driver color controls attacks the symptoms instead of the cause, by compensating like this you could be losing color fidelity/accuracy and being limited in other ways (like being stuck to Windows or a particular video card).

http://133FSB.wordpress.com