Can't run Asus P3B-F at 133 MHz

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 24, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote:

But your original question was about getting your BX board running with a 1Ghz cpu — buying an Intel 815 board is not really a solution for that, or is it ?

Definitely not. But at this point I get increasingly uncomfortable with somehow stressing the V5, and using the V5 is the sole purpose of this machine.

I've ruled out RAM and software issues. So the solutions so far boil down to these two options:

a) get a faster CPU for 100MHz FSB — not cheap even in Russia. The fastest Slot 1 CPU with 100MHz I've seen was 800 MHz, which will cost around half of the amount I'd pay for the new Asus combo;
b) get a slotket and run a s370 CPU at 100MHz. Honestly, if I am losing Slot 1 anyways, I'm not really interested in researching slotkets. Yeah, it kind of sucks that I lose an ISA slot as well, but I've been using this build for half a year, and all I've been playing were Windows games. I play DOS games on my Socket 7 build, which offers a lot more sound options anyways.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 22 of 24, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, but an alternative solution is then finding for example an ASUS P3V4-X. A very nice and fast slot 1 board (as fast or almost as fast as P3B-F) with VIA Apollo Pro A chipset and native fsb 133. It has an ISA slot and you can run 4x512MB Ram on it.
for a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/21-slot,178-32.html

Reply 23 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and using the V5 is the sole purpose of this machine

No reason to stick with Slot 1 or even Socket 370 boards. Better find Socket A KT333 board or KT133A board, if you want ISA. Both are cheap options too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 24 of 24, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

and using the V5 is the sole purpose of this machine

No reason to stick with Slot 1 or even Socket 370 boards. Better find Socket A KT333 board or KT133A board, if you want ISA. Both are cheap options too.

I've thought about it, but Socket A/Slot A stuff weirdly enough is rare in my area.

But like I've said — ISA is nice, but not a necessity for this build anymore.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog