VOGONS

First post, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having problems with bootmagic 8 to getting it to boot dos from a 2nd primary partition. I have been messing with bootmagic 8 to try to get 2 different DOS versions to boot on different partitions. I have ms-dos 6.22 on the 1st primary partition and than ms-dos 5 on the 2nd primary partition. it is set up in the bootmagic boot menu to boot from either , but when I select the ms-dos 5 partition I get the "Non-System Disk or disk error" message. Also about 2 weeks ago I have gotten it to work perfectly to boot ms-dos 5 from the 2nd partition using bootmagic, The only difference is I used bootmagic 7 and not 8, which should not make a difference. I am just baffled that I can't get it work again.

Reply 1 of 4, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MichaelWeaser wrote:

I am having problems with bootmagic 8 to getting it to boot dos from a 2nd primary partition. I have been messing with bootmagic 8 to try to get 2 different DOS versions to boot on different partitions. I have ms-dos 6.22 on the 1st primary partition and than ms-dos 5 on the 2nd primary partition. it is set up in the bootmagic boot menu to boot from either , but when I select the ms-dos 5 partition I get the "Non-System Disk or disk error" message. Also about 2 weeks ago I have gotten it to work perfectly to boot ms-dos 5 from the 2nd partition using bootmagic, The only difference is I used bootmagic 7 and not 8, which should not make a difference. I am just baffled that I can't get it work again.

I don't know if this is the case, but all boot partitions of any MS DOS (up to and including 6.x) should be in the first 8GB of a given HDD, if I remember correctly. The second requirement is, if you boot DOS from a non first primary, then the preceeding primaries should be setup as hidden (if not already unreadable to DOS, like FAT32 or NTFS partitions). Your boot manager should be doing it automatically I guess, if set up accordingly.

Check Master Booter documentation, it is very helpful about that kind of information.

http://www.masterbooter.com/main/news.php?lang=en

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 4, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tayyare wrote:

I don't know if this is the case, but all boot partitions of any MS DOS (up to and including 6.x) should be in the first 8GB of a given HDD, if I remember correctly. The second requirement is, if you boot DOS from a non first primary, then the preceeding primaries should be setup as hidden (if not already unreadable to DOS, like FAT32 or NTFS partitions). Your boot manager should be doing it automatically I guess, if set up accordingly.

Check Master Booter documentation, it is very helpful about that kind of information.

http://www.masterbooter.com/main/news.php?lang=en

yup , it is the first 8GB because its actually a 4GB hard drive that is split into 2 2GB primary partitions, and bootmagic is doing what you are saying, making partitions hidden. I am still working on how the hell did I get it work once, and now trying again it won't do squat.

Reply 3 of 4, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never worked with bootmagic but i will tell you in a abstract way what i do on BootIt NG.
The bootit ng allow me to edit the mbr for all hds for each boot entry on the menu,and have more than 4 primary partitions on a single drive.
So assuming that you are working on a single drive, and you mentioned that both partitions are on the beginning of the drive.
I create 3 "null" partitions(8mb, beos formatted since msdos/windows dont have a clue what it is about) and i edit the mbr on each boot entry fitting the first entry on the mbr to the dos partition.
So in the end i have two boot entries: MS-DOS 1(mbr: fat partition 1, null, null, null) and MS-DOS 2(mbr: fat partition 2, null, null, null).
Not sure if the boot manager/ partition manager that you are using has support to do it.

Reply 4 of 4, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
.legaCy wrote:
Never worked with bootmagic but i will tell you in a abstract way what i do on BootIt NG. The bootit ng allow me to edit the mbr […]
Show full quote

Never worked with bootmagic but i will tell you in a abstract way what i do on BootIt NG.
The bootit ng allow me to edit the mbr for all hds for each boot entry on the menu,and have more than 4 primary partitions on a single drive.
So assuming that you are working on a single drive, and you mentioned that both partitions are on the beginning of the drive.
I create 3 "null" partitions(8mb, beos formatted since msdos/windows dont have a clue what it is about) and i edit the mbr on each boot entry fitting the first entry on the mbr to the dos partition.
So in the end i have two boot entries: MS-DOS 1(mbr: fat partition 1, null, null, null) and MS-DOS 2(mbr: fat partition 2, null, null, null).
Not sure if the boot manager/ partition manager that you are using has support to do it.

I tried to use the boot manager that you use Bootit NG and it actually works properly and correctly. I have no idea how I got bootmagic to work properly once and I can't replicate it and get it to work properly again. I might as switch to Bootit NG, I am also going to switch back to bootmagic 7, to see if 8 is the problem