VOGONS

Windows 95 and USB flash drives

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just can’t get the ports working under 95. Installed all drivers and the official MS USBSUPP before enabling USB in the BIOS. The USB controller appears as a “Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller” with an exclamation mark on it. Showing code 31 and a memory conflict. Even once the memory conflict is resolved the controller still appears the same way and nothing happens when I plug in a USB device.

It almost seems like it’s wanting a driver for the USB controller but I can’t seem to find any SIS 7001 specific drivers anywhere - and it’s not even getting as far as recognising that’s what the controller is now.

Same results with XUSBSUPP or the official MS package.

I’m strongly considering not wasting any more time on this and just going with 98lite and NUSB 😒

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 21 of 31, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have never used Windows 95+USB with anything but Intel UHCI controllers. Its possible the SiS USB was never properly supported in Windows 95 to begin with. The controller itself is OHCI compliant but troublesome seeing that people are having trouble getting it working under Windows XP on Socket 478 boards. What make/model is the board?

Reply 22 of 31, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
britain4 wrote:

It almost seems like it’s wanting a driver for the USB controller but I can’t seem to find any SIS 7001 specific drivers anywhere - and it’s not even getting as far as recognising that’s what the controller is now.

SiS chipset? If that board is anywhere similar to the Asus SiS 5598 system I have, where the USB ports are somehow hooked up to and controlled by the (hidden) SCSI BIOS (including a limit of no more than 7 USB devices instead of the 128 you'd expect), then you might have an early non-standard USB solution. FYI, the USB on my board works with a USB ZIP drive in Windows 98 and the chipset drivers...haven't tried USB flash drives.

Reply 23 of 31, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Aptiva uses the 430VX chipset and has one USB port. Installed 95 OSR 2.5, then drivers including the chipset one. Anyone who needs it, it is here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/i7z32uqtepk3cjp/430VX.zip

This document refers to desktop systems with *
* the following Intel chipsets: *
* 430HX, 430VX, 430TX, 440FX, 440LX, *
* 440EX, 440BX and 440GX.

Then I ran usbsupp.exe, restarted, plugged in a flash drive, and then used the flash driver here http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html

Works fine and have been doing it this way for years.

Attachments

• BIQTk9D.jpg
    Filename
    BIQTk9D.jpg
    File size
    509.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 24 of 31, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The board is an ASUS SPAX OEM board from a HP but I can’t find any information on whether it would have come with 95 or 98 - probably 95, and presumably the USB did work when HP sold it!

It is an ASUS 5598 chipset board so likely very similar to yours yawetaG with the non-standard implementation, perhaps that’s why it’s such a pain getting it to work... I’ll see if there’s anything tweakable related to the SCSI BIOS at all. For the time being though I think I’m going to go with 98 and see if that works any better.

Sounds so easy oeuvre - tried those exact steps countless times with the SIS chipset and can’t make it work 🙁

Reply 25 of 31, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HP shipped the Pavilion 6350 which used that motherboard in 1998. It is NOT period correct for 1997 and likely came with Windows 98.

These boards likely never worked right either: https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=815641

Reply 26 of 31, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know the board isn't strictly "period correct" for a 1997 build but I wanted ATX and USB for convenience both of which this board has.

I installed 98SE (with 98lite's "Sleek" option) and NUSB and it recognised the USB controller right away and immediately installed drivers for the flash drive - no hassle whatsoever. Looks like 95 is missing the drivers for it. Wonder if I could copy the 98 drivers over to it? Surprised more people don't use 98lite really, you get the best of both worlds with it.

In any case it's all up and running now, a bit of a mash up as it's running Windows 95 Explorer, Me USB support and has all the web integrated-ness stripped out of it - but it's fast, compatible and works!

I even nicked the boot splash screen from 95 - and the Start menu says 95 in 98lite, so you'd never know really 😁

Reply 27 of 31, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember that you need TWO sets of drivers for USB pendrives to work in Windows 95 and 98. The first set would be the USB port drivers (and the USB supplement in Windows 95 OSR 2.x), that are installed through the motherboard chipset drivers or your PCI card drivers. Note that getting proper drivers for a given chipset/PCI card for Windows 98 is easy, but USB in Windows 95 was mostly experimental and there are not many drivers.

The second set is the pendrive or USB mass storage driver. Some pendrives have drivers that only recognizes that pendrive or some pendrives of the same brand (through USB IDs), but some pendrives had drivers that installed as USB mass storage driver and can work with ANY pendrive (or mp3, or camera, or anything that presents as a USB MSD device). That NUSB piece of software is a USB MSD driver.

I remember that I had a Sandisk Cruzer (the original one, it was not a pendrive but a SD reader) that had Windows 95 and 98 drivers, and I think that it installed as USB MSD driver (but I can be wrong). I'm looking into Sandisk webpage, but I'm afraid that I can't find anything about that reader.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 28 of 31, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup that seems to be how it installs itself (when it works). It’s exactly how 98SE operated when I installed it earlier.

As far as I know NUSB is more than just a driver, I’m sure I read somewhere it ported over the USB compatibility stuff from Me.. either way I believe it’s more than a driver. Anyway it made my flash drive work and that’s what matters 😀

Reply 29 of 31, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NJRoadfan wrote on 2018-06-08, 12:34:

Its possible the SiS USB was never properly supported in Windows 95 to begin with. The controller itself is OHCI compliant but troublesome seeing that people are having trouble getting it working under Windows XP on Socket 478 boards.

Pardon for necroposting. 😀 Today I've dug up my SIS motherboard, J-Mark J571B on SiS 5571, and attempted to install Win95 OSR 2.1 to it. First I've used localized (Russian) version of OSR 2.0 and English USB Supplement. And the SiS USB controller was "installed" without errors. But as "PCI Universal Serial Bus", which is "working correctly" without any drivers.

Usb95-bad.jpg
Filename
Usb95-bad.jpg
File size
383.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

There was no reaction on insertions of USB Flashes, just like if the controller is not visible by OS. Tried to install updates for USB Supplement, reinstall drivers...nothing helped.

Then I've deleted all the Win95B copy, and reinstalled it from scratch. Then installed localized USBSUP.EXE and English USBUPD2.EXE, rebooted the PC, opened Device Manager, choosed PCI Universal Serial Bus, clicked "Update Driver", and...the correct driver for it begin appearing in the list (“Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (4-22-97)”).

Usb95-correct.jpg
Filename
Usb95-correct.jpg
File size
451.6 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

With it, USB started working. For flash drives used well-known driver from http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html .

USB95-2.png
Filename
USB95-2.png
File size
16.45 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

However, not all flash drives are working here. Some (e.g. Qumo 32GB) are leads to freeze or blue screen. So Win95 is not a good system for using with USB Pen Drives, but it can use them. 😀

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 30 of 31, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently added USB functionality to my WIN95c system(sig).... unfortunatley the motherboard doesnt sport any USB ports, so i bought a USB pci card with just 2ports, it needs to be for win95 on up, usb2.0 pci cards for only win98se on up will not work, your system might detect the new device, but if there isnt any driver support, you're basically SOL.

The USB pci card i used is by D-LINK(DSB-500), and as for driver support and to recognize a myrad of usb thumbdrives and sets them up automatically, software by name of"XUSBSUPP", install by itself only, not the one that comes on the win95b/c cdrom, everything works without a hitch for me and with good transfer speeds, hopefully this helps others that cant get the original ones on the motherboard working correctly and instead, get the USB pci card to use.

Attachments

• system 1.jpg
    Filename
    system 1.jpg
    File size
    59.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • system 2.jpg
    Filename
    system 2.jpg
    File size
    61.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • system 3.jpg
    Filename
    system 3.jpg
    File size
    39.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • system 4.JPG
    Filename
    system 4.JPG
    File size
    419.73 KiB
    Views
    File license

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se