Mount ISO files in a real DOS machine?

Topic actions

First post, by Nodoyuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I'm building a retro PC with pure MS-DOS and Windows 98 for early Windows games
I've installed a hard drive replacement, in the form of a Compact Flash card connected through and IDE2CF interface, and a diskette drive replacement, in the form of a GOTEK unit with the custom firmware installed
I'd like to install a CD-ROM replacement too, but it seems there are nothing available as a hardware interface, similar to the ones available for hard drives and diskette drives
So, the best option seems to use software solutions
Of course, for Windows 98, there is the option of using an old version of Daemon Tools, that seems to work great
For pure DOS, I've found SHSUCDHD and SHSUCDX, but it seems it does not support Redbook Audio, so games with audio tracks will play without sound
So, is there any option or trick to load ISO files with audio tracks under pure MS-DOS?
I'm not using DOSBOX or other emulators, but a real PC
Thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 61, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're right about SHSUCDHD and SHSUCDX not supporting images with CDA tracks, you can only mount .ISO images. But ISO images don't and can't contain audio tracks so you probably mean that you're searching for another program able to mount other image files that can contain cd audio, like bin/cue? As far as I know there is no such thing for DOS.

Reply 2 of 61, by Nodoyuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was referring to ISO, more as a general term than to the format itself 😀
Does SHSUCDHD and SHSUCDX can load .CUE files? I mean, some Redump or TOSEC set has audio tracks as .BIN files and the .CUE loads them
I didn't know that .ISO format don't support CDA tracks
So the only option right now for CDA tracks is to load them in Win98 and see if they work fine in MS-DOS mode, right?

Reply 3 of 61, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:

You're right about SHSUCDHD and SHSUCDX not supporting images with CDA tracks, you can only mount .ISO images.

Yeah only .ISO and as I told you I'm not aware of any other utility that can mount, for example, a bin/cue.
In fact I believe that when I was researching this topic I read something about it not being possible in DOS, but don't count on these last words.

Reply 4 of 61, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 61, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might just be easier to write your bin/cue image files onto a CD-R disk and plop it on into the CD-ROM.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 11 of 61, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends. I also thought like you, but so many have cd audio tracks from 1995-1998. I think about half my discs are with audio. Once half are with audio, it wasn't so much trouble to have the other half as non-audio, data discs.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 12 of 61, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Q1 and Q2, Shadow warrior, blood, half life, aoe, ignition, carmageddon, fatal racing ... have audio tracks. Toonstruck, phantasmagoria, Unreal/UT, duke 3D, need for speed 2 and 3 ... don't have audio tracks

The problem with games with audio tracks is that they can't be read while the sound card is being used under DOS. However I wonder what would be possible with two sound cards in a setup ?

For now the best you can do I guess is to convert bin/cue to iso meaning you won't have audio tracks ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 13 of 61, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quite a few games with audio tracks, like AOE or Screamer for example, also support music using Adlib or MPU-401. So you don't need them always to get music. And with a good wavetable, you may even get better music than from the cd.

Reply 14 of 61, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An alternative approach to software would be something like a Gotek for CD images, connecting to the DOS PC via ATAPI. Now that would be a nifty piece of hardware...

Reply 15 of 61, by Nodoyuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:

An alternative approach to software would be something like a Gotek for CD images, connecting to the DOS PC via ATAPI. Now that would be a nifty piece of hardware...

That would be the perfect solution, but I think there is no such device available

Reply 16 of 61, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

How do you even run old DOS games on modern systems if its not through something like DOSBox?

Reply 18 of 61, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nodoyuna wrote:
dionb wrote:

That would be the perfect solution, but I think there is no such device available

that exists amd is being sold on amazon
a cdrom emulador but it does not support cd with audio either