Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2020-09-26, 17:56:
Godlike wrote on 2020-09-26, 15:31:
Baoran wrote on 2020-09-26, 13:09:

Definitely not just for windows. Some of my favourite 3dfx games like archimedean dynasty are dos games.

Of course not only, but is't a windows card that support some dos game such as quake, mechwarrior2, shadow warrrior, blood etc.
Voodoo1 is more than enough for dos build. Orchid Righteous3D clicky 4MB card from late 1996 such a nice choice

Calling it a windows card is just a label someone gives to it. I don't see any need to attach a card to a specific OS especially when it isn't the only OS that has drivers for it.

You can attach wheels from stroller to mountain bike, and that will work, but better to keep original wheels on mountain bike. hope that make sense

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 21 of 21, by gn0me

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Godlike wrote on 2020-09-26, 21:54:
Baoran wrote on 2020-09-26, 17:56:
Godlike wrote on 2020-09-26, 15:31:

Of course not only, but is't a windows card that support some dos game such as quake, mechwarrior2, shadow warrrior, blood etc.
Voodoo1 is more than enough for dos build. Orchid Righteous3D clicky 4MB card from late 1996 such a nice choice

Calling it a windows card is just a label someone gives to it. I don't see any need to attach a card to a specific OS especially when it isn't the only OS that has drivers for it.

You can attach wheels from stroller to mountain bike, and that will work, but better to keep original wheels on mountain bike. hope that make sense

That literally makes no sense. There are many games that developers later released patched executables specifically to support 3DFX Glide in their games. These games such as Descent, (GL) Quake etc run in DOS but have official 3DFX support. Other games like Carmageddon, and I think Redneck Rampage utilize Glide API. Voodoo2's work for about 95% of the DOS only games out there if you export some environment variables in your Autoexec.bat.

The interesting thing to note is that the 3DFX cards are only used in DOS for games specifically designed to take advantage. For others it just uses the CPU to render the graphics, or in some cases used the primary GPU that feeds into the 3DFX card, in which case the 3DFX is just a pass through device.

1990-1997 DOS/W95: micron millennium mme/p200mmx/64mb/matrox millennium II 6mb/orchid righteous 3d 4mb/sb16 & dream blaster s2