VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think my Orchid Righteous 3d 3dfx Voodoo 1 is dead, but I want to make sure.

It installs fine in Windows 95 OSR 2.5. I am using the latest 3dfx reference driver in Windows.

The 2d video card signal comes through the pass through cable with no issues.

When I go to device manager the card is showing and it says it is working properly with no conflicts.

I tried running Tomb Raider from DOS (I know the Windows driver is not active in DOS). When I run the game, I hear the relay click, but the screen is black and I get "no signal" from my monitor. However, the game starts and I can hear all the noises from the game, so the computer seems to think the card is working.

Any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 23, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you try any other game? Quite a long shot to think the card is dead if you only tried a single game.

Your monitor may also just have issues displaying the signal from the voodoo card. So, try a different game, and if the screen is black then as well, try a different monitor.

Reply 3 of 23, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I could only find glide2x.ovl in the driver directory.

I tried putting glide2x.ovl in the Tomb Raider folder, but it made no difference.

Where do I find glide.ovl?

Also, I tried Quake 2 and it would only play in software mode.

OK, then I uninstalled the latest reference Voodoo Graphics driver and installed the latest Orchid Righteous 3d specific driver.

The Orchid driver app allows you to "test settings". When I hit the "test settings" button, it brings up a spinning 3dfx logo. It appears to be using the 3dfx card as I was able in enable bilinear filtering, but it's only running at about 10-11 fps. It tries to run it in a window though, and I did not think that the Voodoo 1 could run in a window. So I am not sure if it is actually using the 3dfx card, or if it using software rendering. I did not hear the relay click either.

I then tried to run Quake 2 again. This time, when I selected the 3dfx video mode, instead of running in software mode, it went to a light gray screen. However, it just stays at the gray screen. If I hit enter, it quits and drops me back into Windows. I seem to remember the gray screen thing from back in the old days, but it would only stay at the gray screen for a few seconds before loading the game.

Not sure what I am doing wrong here...

Any more suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply 4 of 23, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Brain fart, I meant glide2x.ovl. Try messing around with different ones, Tomb Raider is kinda picky with that.

I recommend not using the Orchid Righteous drivers, they are probably much older than the latest reference. Quake 2 probably doesn't run properly because you have to :

a) patch it to the latest version
b) install a miniGL (I recommend MiniGL 1.47)

You can find more at http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com/

Reply 5 of 23, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could test it in pure DOS. I ran a few cards in X-cars to weed out the non-working ones. My Orchids didn't fare well, I had one working out of three. Heard the relay when the game ran, but there was no output. Should try them again in Windows.

Reply 6 of 23, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I patched Quake 2 to version 3.20 and installed MiniGL 1.47. There was no change. Quake 2 just goes to a light gray screen, then crashes. I'm fairly certain the card is dead.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Reply 7 of 23, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always test Voodoo1 cards in pure DOS with TOMB3DEM. If this doesn't work, it's dead.

DL here:
https://archive.org/download/tomb3dem/tomb3dem.zip

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 8 of 23, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tegrady wrote:

Well, I patched Quake 2 to version 3.20 and installed MiniGL 1.47. There was no change. Quake 2 just goes to a light gray screen, then crashes. I'm fairly certain the card is dead.

Thanks.

It is very rare that cards die like that. If you were describing visual artifacts and such I'd be inclined to say that you are correct, but as it is now it sounds to me like something hasn't been configured properly. Try a few more games, perhaps some D3D titles before deciding its dead. And hey if you don't want it, I'd gladly take it off your hands :p .

By the way what system is the card installed in?

Reply 9 of 23, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please post a picture of the card. High res. Very, very often, one of the leads on the main chips will be bent, making contact with another.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 10 of 23, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:
tegrady wrote:

Thanks.

It is very rare that cards die like that. If you were describing visual artifacts and such I'd be inclined to say that you are correct, but as it is now it sounds to me like something hasn't been configured properly. Try a few more games, perhaps some D3D titles before deciding its dead. And hey if you don't want it, I'd gladly take it off your hands :p .

By the way what system is the card installed in?

My system specs are: Pentium 233 MMX, 64mb SDRAM, Amptron-branded PC Chips 571lmr TX Pro II motherboard, Sound Blaster 16, Windows 95 OSR 2.5.

Everything except the Vooodoo seem to work fine.

I tried a DirectX game, Forsaken. I installed DirectX 8.0a. I chose the Voodoo renderer and ran the game. I did not hear the relay click, but it did not give me an error. It appeared that bilinear filtering was enabled, but it was very slow. Also, the monitor showed that it was displaying at my desktop refresh rate of 85hz. I thought that the Voodoo would display at 60hz.

I am wondering if it was actually using my S3 Virge video card to display the 3d?

Thanks for any help.

Here are the pics:

Attachments

• 20180614_192107.jpg
    Filename
    20180614_192107.jpg
    File size
    305.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20180614_192102.jpg
    Filename
    20180614_192102.jpg
    File size
    283.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20180614_192054.jpg
    Filename
    20180614_192054.jpg
    File size
    361.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20180614_191938.jpg
    Filename
    20180614_191938.jpg
    File size
    233 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20180614_191930.jpg
    Filename
    20180614_191930.jpg
    File size
    757.79 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 23, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, Forsaken was definitely using the S3 Virge there.

System seems okay, DirectX 8.0a could be problematic, but not in this case. Here's what you should do about to see if the Voodoo works in Forsaken: Grab an older copy of Powerstrip and you will find an option to toggle between primary cards for D3D HAL. Make sure the Voodoo 1 gets priority here and run Forsaken once more.
See if you can try a few more games if you don't want to do that, preferably some with display selectors, such as Shogo or Blood 2(D3D) or Half-Life (for OpenGL). Even a demo should do the trick. You can find the 3dfx demo of Turok here:
https://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Turok%3A … aur_Hunter.html

Reply 12 of 23, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried PowerStrip. PowerStrip recognized that there is a 3dfx card in the system, and it listed it as primary for D3D, but Forsaken still appears to be using the S3 Virge for 3d (very slow performance and it's running at 85hz).

I will try installing Blood 2 or Shogo next. If they don't work, I am fairly certain the card must be dead. I have never had this much trouble getting a 3dfx card running....

Reply 15 of 23, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
danijelm wrote:

On second picture on Tmu chip pin 105 is bended. Use knife and bend it back. Its touching pin 106 😉 and try it.

Khan.jpg
Filename
Khan.jpg
File size
185.42 KiB
Views
File comment
There she is!
File license

Attachments

• Voodoo1 Bent Pin 105.jpg
    Filename
    Voodoo1 Bent Pin 105.jpg
    File size
    64.04 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Bent Pin 105 on Orchid Righteous 3D
    File license

486 Build

Reply 17 of 23, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tegrady wrote:

Good catch. I will give it a try.

Do you think that could cause the issues I am having?

It is entirely possible that this is the problem, but not guaranteed. No matter what, these leads should not be in contact with each other; hopefully it didn't cause any damage.

It's fairly challenging to get these leads to separate, so use a very thin tool and have a lot of patience.

486 Build

Reply 18 of 23, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fitzpatr wrote:
tegrady wrote:

Good catch. I will give it a try.

Do you think that could cause the issues I am having?

It is entirely possible that this is the problem, but not guaranteed. No matter what, these leads should not be in contact with each other; hopefully it didn't cause any damage.

It's fairly challenging to get these leads to separate, so use a very thin tool and have a lot of patience.

I'm thinking I will need to use a razor blade and a magnifying glass.

I also found another lead that is touching; you can only see it from the side.

Reply 19 of 23, by danijelm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its not so hard. I didit lots of times on voodoo cards. And 99% this was the problem. razor blade is perfect for this. You dont need magnifying glass. Put it on light and go.

I speak sarcasm as a 2nd language