VOGONS

ABIT BX6 not detecting hard drive

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 34, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still wont matter, the hardware (motherboard) still cant address the drive so wont matter which OS you use
BUT all is not lost!
You can use drive overlay software as a work around. Phil's even got a video on it
https://youtu.be/8LzCB6kDVC8

Reply 24 of 34, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My suggestion would be a brand new sub 120gb HDD ide drive from ebay or the like. I know you can get them for dirt cheap, like $8 or so. They may be random models and makes, but you know for sure you have a brand new drive. If it doesnt work or is dead for any reason you are only out $8 and or can get a refund no problem. Unless you are like alot of us and have access to a bunch of old IDE drives to mess around with. If you have issues with new drives/and or a bunch of known working good old drives under 128gb id recommend a recap.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 25 of 34, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still here, tearing my hair out.

Got refurbished 80GB HDD this morning. Plugged in, switched on, detected. Goes to format, gets to 9% then says error detected.

But now it also loses the CD drives at the same time!

Reply 32 of 34, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gladders wrote:

Scandisk: encountered a data terror while reading the FAT entry for cluster 540672.

Over the weekend I decided to knock together a system with an NF7S2, XP3200+, and a couple of gigs of DDR to test my 6800GT AGP card. All was going fine (I was actually at the desktop in Windows XP) when it got weird. I ended up swapping the power supply, the video card, the hard drive, and the memory, and it still wouldn't finish installing Windows XP. This board worked fine last time I tried it, and has been stored in an anti static bag since last use (probably four or five years ago). None of the capacitors are jiffy popped, but they are still the most likely culprit.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 34 of 34, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote:
gladders wrote:

Scandisk: encountered a data terror while reading the FAT entry for cluster 540672.

Over the weekend I decided to knock together a system with an NF7S2, XP3200+, and a couple of gigs of DDR to test my 6800GT AGP card. All was going fine (I was actually at the desktop in Windows XP) when it got weird. I ended up swapping the power supply, the video card, the hard drive, and the memory, and it still wouldn't finish installing Windows XP. This board worked fine last time I tried it, and has been stored in an anti static bag since last use (probably four or five years ago). None of the capacitors are jiffy popped, but they are still the most likely culprit.

Does this account for the popping sound my hard drive made partway through formatting though?