VOGONS

First post, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally got my hands on a Windows 95 laptop, and I want to make gameplay videos with it. I've seen people benchmark old computers and such with screen recording software, and I want to know how to do this, and what software they did it with.

How do I do so?

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:
Fujitsu Lifebook E330 - Working w/ Win95
Fujitsu Lifebook C352 - Nonworking 🙁
HP Pavilion A520N - Working w/ WinXP
AST Ascentia M 5260X - Working w/ WinME
IBM ThinkPad 770 - Working w/ Win2K

Reply 1 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another computer and a way to capture VGA (expensive) or svideo (relatively inexpensive but worse quality and a limited support for resolutions, some laptops have svideo out)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 8, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It can get a bit costly if you want to do VGA recording, obviously you'll need a modern desktop for a capture card..here's the route I went:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TB3HVA/ … ailpage_o00_s00
VGA to HDMI, another user posted a thread about using this on his 4k TV so I grabbed one... 30 USD. It works surprisingly well with 320x200 and other unusual resolutions I've tried with games or programming (mode x).

https://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Streaming-De … 5/dp/B007UXJ6LE
Avermedia C985.. I got mine used on ebay for 65 USD, they are quite ubiquitous on ebay these days as streamers are going after 1080P/60FPS cards. But you get the idea.

My favorite perk about it is that when I'm not recording, I can put my DOS machine on my living room TV via HDMI and play Ultima from the couch at unfathomable screen sizes 😎

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"How do I screen record with Windows 95?"
Use a VHS camcorder. It's period-correct. 😎

(Seriously, though: Some S3 graphics cards had CVBS/S-Video out.
Since you're using a laptop, there are also VGA to CVBS/S-Video boxes.
You can then grab these signals with those cheap VHS to PC adapters from the 2000s)

Edit: Writing fixed.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 8, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There used to be an old screen capture software called HyperCam- though I don't think it would be capable of capturing full screen gameplay footage, but one could try 😀

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 5 of 8, by ATauenis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SnagIt 5.0 can record AVIs too.

2×Soviet ZX-Speccy, 1×MacIIsi, 1×086, 1×286, 2×386DX, 1×386SX, 2×486, 1×P54C, 7×P55C, 6×Slot1, 4×S370, 1×SlotA, 2×S462, ∞×Modern.

Reply 8 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VGA to composite/svideo are quite inexpensive as well, I can record any old computer with that

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative